No announcement yet.

Travel Consent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the school may be an issue against you.

You have said previously that your child in grade 1 has needed extra help and was sent to a extra help program. Along with your older daughter will be in grade 6 by the time the trip comes, mixed with them adjusting to a new school. All of this will work against your case with a Judge. Even if mom has let you do it in the past with the issues above will be justification why she won't now.

I will say it again try try try to negotiate with mom or try and get the dates changed so it won't be such an issue.

Comment

Better yet....try to book a trip that only happens during your parenting time. There is obviously more to this than meets the eye, and she could just be jealous that you are going to somewhere she is not, and perhaps with someone she can't stand.

Comment

Your order says that consent will not be unreasonably withheld - but missing a week of school as well as a week with their mother could be construed as valid reasons to withhold consent, so this would not be a rubber-stamp issue if it came to court. I'd be a little concerned about my kid missing so much school for a vacation, esp. if s/he was having academic issues.

Since you have more than a year's lead time, like the other posters say you should be able to reschedule your trip so it doesn't interfere with Mom's time with the kids. I think that's a better road to take rather than trying to get Mom to change her mind or rolling the dice with a court motion.

Comment

It's a no-brainer, and should be the best course of action when dealing with an irrational nutcase. I even went as far as getting a Nexus card for our child, so I don't have to keep asking for passport.

She recently told me to keep the passport at my place, since am the one that seems to take our child places outside the country. Local( US, Can, Mexico etc) trips are usually planned around my parenting, and our order does say if a far flung international is taking place, then 60 days notice should be given ahead of time...but I usually do this when school is not in session, removing the drama of missing school from the equation.

Personally, I don't get in the way of what benefits the child, but you can't reason with crazy.

Originally posted by stripes View Post
          Your order says that consent will not be unreasonably withheld - but missing a week of school as well as a week with their mother could be construed as valid reasons to withhold consent, so this would not be a rubber-stamp issue if it came to court. I'd be a little concerned about my kid missing so much school for a vacation, esp. if s/he was having academic issues.

Since you have more than a year's lead time, like the other posters say you should be able to reschedule your trip so it doesn't interfere with Mom's time with the kids. I think that's a better road to take rather than trying to get Mom to change her mind or rolling the dice with a court motion.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X