Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trolled by Ford Nation

Dear Toronto: You're Being Trolled By Ford Nation

An excellent article, about more than just Rob Ford...

You're on the Internet, and you're trying to explain something sensible to someone, and they're heaping abuse on you? And when you start to make headway with a point, they sideslip into something totally irrelevant? And everything that is obviously subjective is objective to them? And everything obviously objective is subjective to them?

I have this nightmare too: It's called being trolled. The primary characteristic of being trolled is when you are trying to achieve something positive, but can't make any headway because the other party's agenda is to disrupt and hijack the conversation.
    And it's on more than just the internet. I spent 11 years married to someone who did this in person.

Originally posted by Mess View Post

And it's on more than just the internet. I spent 11 years married to someone who did this in person.
    God help Toronto......

‘Ford Nation’ T-shirts featuring Ford Motor Company logo appear at city hall - Toronto | Globalnews.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Mess View Post

LOL! Me too (Only common-law, not married!) Bullshit baffles the brain, right?

Comment

I have been watching the City council meeting this morning. They have adjourned for lunch break and will be back shortly. I found Councillors' Mammoliti and Minnan-Wongs' questions particularly relevant and interesting.

As for commenting on my marriage, I will say that, yes, I experienced this above-mentioned crazy-making type of behaviour in spades. I was also struck by how much my to-be-ex resembles Rob Ford in his behaviour. Hostility, anger, denials, refusals to apologize for what really happened.

LIVE UPDATES: Toronto Mayor Rob Ford tells council he’s bought illegal drugs in last two years | CTV News

Comment

Originally posted by caranna View Post
          I have been watching the City council meeting this morning. They have adjourned for lunch break and will be back shortly. I found Councillors' Mammoliti and Minnan-Wongs' questions particularly relevant and interesting.

As for commenting on my marriage, I will say that, yes, I experienced this above-mentioned crazy-making type of behaviour in spades. I was also struck by how much my to-be-ex resembles Rob Ford in his behaviour. Hostility, anger, denials, refusals to apologize for what really happened.

LIVE UPDATES: Toronto Mayor Rob Ford tells council he’s bought illegal drugs in last two years | CTV News
          I knew Denzil Minnan-Wong when he was younger, and he struck me as full of integrity.

Comment

Originally posted by DowntroddenDad View Post
            I knew Denzil Minnan-Wong when he was younger, and he struck me as full of integrity.
            He did mention his daughters and said that he would do anything for them. He is a concerned parent, as I'm sure virtually all the parents are, and he does want Ford to go on a leave. This councillor certainly presents himself as a very conscientious and ethical person...wish he had been mayor instead of Ford.

Comment

Originally posted by caranna View Post
              He did mention his daughters and said that he would do anything for them. He is a concerned parent, as I'm sure virtually all the parents are, and he does want Ford to go on a leave. This councillor certainly presents himself as a very conscientious and ethical person...wish he had been mayor instead of Ford.
              Denzil is a devoted family man and a devout Catholic. But he isn't the type to run for mayor in this media age. I wish that weren't true, he is a rational, pragmatic conservative, not a crazy guy with a silver spoon and a sense of invincibility.

Comment

Thank God he has changed his mind.....

Coun. Denzil Minnan-Wong 'seriously considering' a run for mayor | CTV Toronto News

Comment

I don't know much about city politics and I'm curious if there is a way to get rid of the Mayor of Toronto? How is this done? Do they somehow impeach him?

Comment

There is no process for impeachment. The mayor can be removed by the province if he is convicted of a criminal offence, or if he does not attend council for (I believe) 3 months. Other than that, the province would have to enact some kind of emergency legislation, and they are very hesitant about getting involved at this point.

By provincial law, the mayor really only has 1 vote on council, and not other special powers. Council itself empowers the mayor through by-laws that give special powers to appoint committee chairs, etc.

Council is hearing a motion tomorrow (Friday) to strip the mayor of those powers.

Today turned his mike off while he was speaking. That is another effective measure.

Comment

What's this about the mayor and his brother getting their own TV show? Unbelievable really. I was channel surfing yesterday and he was the topic of conversation on BBC and some day shows and today there was coverage on CNN. I heard even SNL is going to be doing skits on him.

My prediction is that he will crash and burn. I mean the guy is obviously in very poor health. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a heart attack.

Comment

It is on the Sun News network. No one watches it anyway. They used to have a radio show on Sundays but the station just fired them.

Comment

On Wednesday, council overwhelmingly passed Minnan-Wong's motion asking Ford to take a leave.
                          Council will hold special meetings today and Monday to try to strip Ford of his mayoral powers and hand them to the deputy mayor in what another councillor called an attempted coup.
                          Premier Kathleen Wynne said she would consult opposition parties before deciding whether to intervene — if council made it clear it could not function as a result of the Ford scandal.

Comment

I don't know about you, but I'm sick of hearing about stupid Mayor Ford and his equally stupid brother - media whores the pair of them!

Comment

Originally posted by Janibel View Post
                              I don't know about you, but I'm sick of hearing about stupid Mayor Ford and his equally stupid brother - media whores the pair of them!
                              I don't think they are choosing most of the media coverage they are getting these days. That statement would more appropriately be applied to the other non-Ford members of council. ie. Minnan-Wong for example.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X