This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shared Custody on Midnight Shift

My spouse is gone 10 pm to 8 am (including travel time) Sunday through Thursday. We are separating and my spouse would like to have shared custody of our child (10).

I have no objection to it, but I'm having a hard time visualizing exactly how this would look. My spouse has proposed picking up our child at 8 am and me picking up our child at 6 pm after work during the week. We would alternate weekends from Friday night to Sunday night.

During the school year, my spouse would have our child for 1 hour in the morning and approximately 2 hours after school, as well as the alternate weekends. However, during summer holidays and other school holidays, my spouse would have our child for the entire day. Our child would spend every night with me except for my spouse's every other weekend.

Does this constitute shared custody? I believe my spouse is trying to get out of paying child support and, while I would support this arrangement, I don't believe it is actually shared custody.

I would appreciate any input/advice.

my x was trying to do that also but since he is not there to prepare our son in the morning for school or to care for him in the evening the judge said it wasnt realistic at all. he gave my x most weekends and that was the end of that. if you have been primarily taking care of the child i getting them ready for school and afterschool or day care list the routine you have with the child before and after school, that way the judge will see that it is in the childs best interest not to disturb their usual routine and award time with the father when he is actually available to care for the child. dont worry judges see fathers coming from a mile away with the i dont want to pay child support game. best of luck! also my lawyer had me do a list oabout our child with questions like whats his shoe size, whats his favorite meals, what is he allergic to, what time does the bus come by, whats his school teachers name, whats the name of the main contact at his daycare..... if the father was not too involved in caring for the child he will not be able to answer these questions. best of luck!

Comment

and doesnt your x sleep when he comes back from work?

Comment

Word of advice: Don't associate the amount of parenting time with the amount of child support. Its no different than the father connecting the two and feeling that if he does not see his child than he should not have to pay child support, they are 2 separate issues and should be treated as such. The father could also say that you don't want him to have a 50/50 split because all you want is more child support, see how this works. Create a schedule that provides fully for the child's needs and eliminate your emotions about the father and his intentions from the equation, that way you will have an easier time putting the needs of your child first and spend less time focused on your ex.

Comment

This is an interesting plan.

If your child is 10, have you asked them what they think is a good idea....

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X