This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth Certificates

Although the information states that only one set is allowed, in Ontario you can ask for a duplicate set of long and short birth certificates.

This is something that may not occur to many divorced parents. Expensive and kind of a pain, but it helps when the ex refuses to give them to you.

I am not sure about other documents though (e.g. health, SIN, etc). Probably not, but that would be great too.

Decent Dad,

I believe OHIP will only issue one health card. Regardless of the custody regime in place, this card should travel with the child.

What I mean is, if the child is in the non-custodial parent's care and control, would it not be child centered for this parent to take what ever steps are necessary in the event of an emergency. By not having this card in place, seems to suggest that they are doomed to failure. Moreover, it also sends a clear message to the child that the non-custodial parent is incapable to act. It is not in the child's best interest to have one of their parent's viewed by the community at large as incompetent.

as an example

When a child goes on a field trip or sport outing with their respective school, a permission slip is requested to be signed by the parent. On this slip, it requests the child's OHIP number and also requests permission for the teacher to act for the child in the event of an emergency and take whatever recommended medical response by the attending physician.

lv

Comment

I agree, important documents should travel with the child. I am just saying, that in my (and a few others) experience... that documentation does not leave the ex's house with the child (and I have joint custody and 50-50 btw). Instead of being in a position where you do not have such documentation and need it, it would be great if you could order two sets of everything. I just pointed out Birth Certificates since I did get my own set even though the web site states they will create only one copy. I tried to get a Health Card but with no luck.

That's all I meant.

Comment

Decent Dad,

I agree with you 100%. The government should ease their restrictions so that both parents have access to the Child's documentation. If you have Joint custody, you could force the issue and have your child/children's ohip card travel with you for when your child/children are in your care and control.

Another document that comes to mind that they will not make a copy is the child's passport.

Simple issues such as providing the child's documentation often gets set aside in litigation when there are bigger fish to fry such as custody and access of the child. The result of such for some is that one parent will not co-operate unless it is court ordered.

lv

Comment

You are correct about the passport too.

The problem is that most people have only so much energy and money to fight certain things. And court orders are not that effective when you are about to leave on a trip and you need the documents and the ex is no where to be found.

Anyway...

So you can get duplicates of:

- birth certificate (long and short)

No Duplicates:

- health card
          - SIN card
          - passport

Comment

Re Duplicate Cards

As far as the Health Card goes a notarised photo copy will work , while the originals can be kept secure

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X