This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal Aid

I am feeling very frustrated today and I need to vent.

As I sit here and write a cheque for $3000 to my lawyer, the cost of my flight to visit my son in three months, I am overwhelmed that the reason why I am writing the cheque is because my ex, who has no legal fees and is funded by legal aid, is fighting with me over something as simple as regular telephone calls to my boy. I can hardly believe that she gets to avail of a free lawyer to do this. Paid for by the government and the tax payers. Unbelieveable.

I am stunned that this is happening. I understand her need of a legal aid lawyer for the regular divorce stuff...but to fight me over the most basic thing such as telephone calls is insane! Her free fight is costing me a fortune...and all I want is to talk to my boy...

I want to write letters to gov officials. I want people in Newfoundland to know what is happening. I want to make sure that they know what their money is paying for. A dad who loves his son...wants to be in his life....and they are paying for the legal fees of a woman who is vindictive and who is jepordizing the emotional well being of a beautiful little boy who misses his father.

I am thinking of contacting social services, perhaps even her social worker, to let them know what is happening. I was also thinking about the Legal Aid commission....and even the Dept of Justice in Newfoundland. Every day that goes by I feel is another day that I didn't stand up for what is right. I feel as though by not doing something...at least trying....I am accepting this. And I cannot accept this...I just can't. It's so, so terribly wrong!

Sorry for the rant....but it really does feel better to vent about this!
    Thanks
    GDGM

I'd put pen to paper and start writing. It's the only way the system will change. Frankly, I don't know how you keep going. Living so far away from your son, and going through all of this.

Comment

If it's any consolation, you're in good company see #6:

http://www.ottawadivorce.com/blog/20...-your-divorce/

I've had to deal with this myself several times and it's very frustrating.
      Ottawa Divorce

Comment

Jeff,

First of all I just want you to know that I find your blogs very helpful. I only discovered them while back but they have really added some insight for me.

I was wondering if you are aware of a "cap" on legal aid? Have you ever heard of this or had any experience with the other side running out of legal aid?

Thanks
        GDGM

Comment

gooddadgoingmad,

your only option is to seek costs on motion. You may get some costs awarded if you are successful. Being a legal aid recipient is not a viable reason to ignore the law and be unreasonable.

LV

Comment

I found this on Jeff's "ABOUT US" site:

"Do you accept legal aid?"

No. The unfortunate reality is that with legal aid, it is almost impossible to serve a client properly given the limited number of hours allocated to a case.

Comment

Legal Aid does limit the number of hours a lawyer is allowed to bill.

You can find out what they are in Ontario at:
              http://www.legalaid.on.ca/en/info/pdf/Tariff_Civil.pdf
              Ottawa Divorce

Comment

I was about to post that same link but Jeff beat me to it. Most programs like this do indeed have a cap. Companies would quickly go broke if they offered "unlimited" access.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X