This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inflation adjustment to support?

I don't want to spend another $28,000 going to court again, but shoudl the paying parent not have to increase the support in accordance with inflaiton, or pay raises?

Originally posted by ralphmail3@yahoo.com View Post
    I don't want to spend another $28,000 going to court again, but shoudl the paying parent not have to increase the support in accordance with inflaiton, or pay raises?
    Are you talking about child support or spousal support?

As for child support, it's included in the tables. With inflation, your salary goes up, therefore the table amount is increased. They update the table amounts every few years, but it's not necessary because of inflation.

For spousal support, it would depend what you agreed on. Mostly, spousal support is based on your combined salary when the relationship is terminated, therefore, there shouldn't be an inflationary increase attached to it. But, this would depend on a few factors.

Comment

Originally posted by Foredeck View Post
      Are you talking about child support or spousal support?

As for child support, it's included in the tables. With inflation, your salary goes up, therefore the table amount is increased. They update the table amounts every few years, but it's not necessary because of inflation.

For spousal support, it would depend what you agreed on. Mostly, spousal support is based on your combined salary when the relationship is terminated, therefore, there shouldn't be an inflationary increase attached to it. But, this would depend on a few factors.
      It's for child support, But it costs 10's of thousands to go back to court all the time to have the payment altered, and prove her increase in income

Comment

In most separation agreement, there is a clause that you're allowed to verify her tax return once a year.

That way, every June or so, you review each other's tax return and adjust the CS payments accordingly.

Comment

i am not quite sure how it works

Comment

it seems that it will cost a lot

Comment

the last time I applied for a variance it cost $24,000 in legal costs. I woud lhave been better off at the old amount

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X