This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email Communication

There is no communication between myself and my ex, with the exception of legal paperwork.

I would like to include a clause in my offer to settle, which encourages and restricts future communication between both parties, to email only.

How would I go about wording this properly?

First of all would say that unless there is a SIGNIFICANT reason why the two of you cannot communication that a judge will not look favourably upon that request. A judge wants to see two parents who are willing to make things work for their kid(s).

If there is joint custody there is not a possible chance to have this clause put in as the premis of joint custody is that parents will make joint decisions when it comes to the child.

If the order is for sole custody to one parent then this is more likely to work. This is because a sole custody order is based on the premis that there is a reason on why the parents are incapable of parenting together (maybe they cannot agree OR there is a reason why one is incapable).

This is in my partners custody agreement but email is not the ONLY one. If you think about it email alone is likely not enough because your ex is likely to "not see" selective emails OR he/she might simply not make it to a computer to use their personal account.

I would suggest the following

1. Communication is to consist of the use of a communication log and email only; information in the communication log is to be limited to information about the child(ren) only and is not to discuss the behaviour of the other parent.

*Note: A communication log is something that judges, counselors and others suggest. It is generally passed back and forth during access exchanges.

Also, I would also include another clause that communication can occur over the phone to notify the other parent of a medical emergency, you do not want to not be notified of such a situation because of a clause.

Hope this helps

Comment

I am sorry, just noticed that you did not mention if you and your ex share children if not please see the following text:

1. Communication is to occur via email communication only. The content of the emails must be limited to "whatever you want" only.

Comment

Hi Representingself,

I have this in my oreder and here it is :
        "The Applicant and Respondant shall only communicate by e-mail with respect to matters only relating to the children and neither party shall in any way restrict or interfere with the free flow of e-mail between each other without further court order."

Comment

Originally posted by mrsb View Post
          Hi Representingself,

I have this in my oreder and here it is :
          "The Applicant and Respondant shall only communicate by e-mail with respect to matters only relating to the children and neither party shall in any way restrict or interfere with the free flow of e-mail between each other without further court order."
          Perfect... thank you!!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X