Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HAP parent, school notes/work

Just the "wtf" rant of the week...

Noticed that a note I wrote for teacher last week, was entirely scratched out with pen. For context, it's a booklet that the parents use, to track "reading progression" of the child. ex. Parent writes down date, book, and ticks off where they think child was struggling with home reading, additional comment, etc. Booklet for parent input, not a booklet that child completes.

From the blurb the teacher writes in the front, it comes home everyday, for parent input/check. I have only seen it 5 times since New Year (only twice last month), so far. Whatever. As long as it's getting done...oh wait, it's not. Booklet clearly shows it's hardly getting done.

(seperate past emails to Mom, asking for homework/reading to consistently be forwarded with D6, continue to be ignored. Continues to be an issue).

D6 is struggling at school - latest report card (came home last week, I had to go to school to get my own copy), shows this, and indicates that D6 is having issues with reading compared to her peers (among some other things). Notes on report card, about work not being completed. I am totally capable of assisting D6 with work sent home. Mom plays gatekeeper with it.

My note in booklet, was:
    "Mrs. <teacher name>, is D6 consistently bringing her home-reading home with her? I'm concerned that I've only seen it a few times this term."

Of course, booklet came with D6 lastnight. We did her home reading. Upon my doing the "booklet", that's when I noticed other parent scratched out my comments entirely. Like, meticulously. Think, spirograph. Teacher likely didn't see it then.

Lastnight's comment from me:
    "Mrs. <teachername>. D6 struggled with this current level of book tonight. I will call you as I suspect you didn't get my last note."

Upon dropping D6 back off to her Mom's this morning, about a minute after I drove away, she was calling my cell phone. I usually let it go to voicemail, but answered this time, as D6 does sometimes forgets mitts or hat, in my vehicle. Could be that? Nope. Mom ranting on phone as soon as I said "hello", about "yes, you will have to call...because I'll keep scratching out whatever comments you write in there dad2bandm..." I just hung up.

It's flippin' tiring.

Emails to Mom, asking about discussing D6's report card, and what we're going to do, to help improve her grades, have been ignored. When brought up in person, she tells me it's not her responsibility to communicate with me, or bother checking for emails.

I'm going to call the teacher, and ask her same, but is there something the school can assist with (counsellor/social worker? (maybe not right terminology there), for this?

It's complete BS that one parent keeps playing gatekeeper with work, and stupid things like child's school planner, still. I've already done the "get my own little work booklets to work with D6 on", but that's not what the teacher looks for, to be done, or to come back completed.

Send the ex an email stating that you don't believe it is in the child's best interests that the notes you make in relation to her schooling/education are erased, scratched out or otherwise altered by her. That the child's teachers need to know how the child is doing at both houses. That should the ex persist, that you will be forced to seek an alternative means of communication with the teacher that the ex cannot destroy or alter. And that this isn't ideal as the ex should also be aware of the child's studies at your house and your feelings/concerns/praises in connection with the child's education.

Ultimately you can't change stupid. Your ex sees herself as the gatekeeper of the child's education. To her, you are not an equal. You will likely have to put the ex's vile filled reply in the stupid box for later.

From now on, you also need to let all the ex's calls go to voicemail. You can listen to them right away and if the kid did forget a glove or something you can call back and turn around. But for everything else, you simply save it.

Comment

Originally posted by HammerDad View Post
      Send the ex an email stating that you don't believe it is in the child's best interests that the notes you make in relation to her schooling/education are erased, scratched out or otherwise altered...
      Thanks HammerDad. Your advice is always much appreciated.
      I can send the email. It's frustrating though, as she just ignores them anyway, and she is not functioning on the same parenting plane at all, here. I sometimes feel a little frustrated sending the "calm, business-like emails" about parenting, to what feels like an an out-of-order, never monitored address, which makes me feel a little insane for sending them still. Just frustrating, is all. (FYI, it's the same email she uses to collect child-support email money transfers, so it's not actually unmonitored).

I don't seem to receive the "crazy" back from her in email anymore; she seems to save that for in-person now.

Ultimately you can't change stupid. Your ex sees herself as the gatekeeper of the child's education. To her, you are not an equal. You will likely have to put the ex's vile filled reply in the stupid box for later.
      It's a large "stupid box" now.

From now on, you also need to let all the ex's calls go to voicemail. You can listen to them right away and if the kid did forget a glove or something you can call back and turn around. But for everything else, you simply save it.
      Yeah, I'm usually pretty good about that, but figured it was quicker to likely deal with a "she forgot X, can you turn around" call, before I got too far away. Stupid, on my part.

Comment

You're not crazy for covering your butt and stating your reasonable position.

Bring this up with the teacher. The teacher will have likely saw the scribble in the booklet, and you can tell them exactly what it is and ask if there is anything you two can work out that will allow you to communicate with them going forward.

The next time you have the book, take pictures/copies of the ex's scribble over your notes so you have evidence.

You've got yourself one hell of a nutjob there.

Comment

The next time you have the book, take pictures/copies of the ex's scribble over your notes so you have evidence....
          I actually photocopy it, using my home printer. So yes, I guess I have "evidence", though not sure anyone is actually interested in it. It's mostly for my own reference, since I don't see the booklet often, and am not sure really when to expect it next. I've mentioned to the teacher before, that if I see something when it comes to me, I will date and sign it, so she knows when I'm getting things. If I haven't date/signed it, then its not something I have seen or that has come to me.

...You've got yourself one hell of a nutjob there...
          Yes, I do.
          I recently sent her via registered mail, some of the stuff she's been ignoring forever. (same stuff I emailed her) I've used registered mail a handful of times, to make sure I cover my butt.

Also, given her more recent "face to face" statement "It's not my responsibility to communicate with you. I don't have to check for emails..." I wasn't sure when she'd be next checking email at all. Looks like she ignored this last one. Likely may be getting it returned. It's been waiting at the postal outlet, for a few days now. She seems to now be avoiding registered mail.

Comment

Just to share a school issue... My partner was not getting info on his youngest from ex and attempted to speak to the teacher. His calls were ignored. He went through the superintendent who resolved the issue with the school secretary (in moms camp) and the teacher called him back immediately. The teacher was very sympathetic and told him she was more than happy to provide info and had gone through a divorce herself and understood the communication challenges. I share this story only because divorce is a fact of life in many schools and educators manage the issues accordingly. Calling the school and trying to work directly with the teacher isnt unreasonable. Most schools want to do whats best for the kids and can see a difficult parent from a mile away. Dont accept this as is. If you can work directly with someone for a positive outcome do so. All your ex is doing is proving them self unreasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
              ...Calling the school and trying to work directly with the teacher isnt unreasonable...
              Hi Rockscan.
              Yes, your ex sounds like they were in same boat as me.
              I already have and do contact teacher directly about things. Most things, I can try my best to circumvent Mom's gatekeeping, but I'm finding it's the homework related stuff, and D6's agenda planner, that is still an issue.

And just trying to followup on issues, when they need to involve parents. Really, the teacher can only do so much. She's made us both aware, and after that, it's kind of like "they need to sort that out". I don't blame her, since our child is 1, out of the whole class, but... it's frustrating. Especially, when it's Mom's direct gatekeeping, that is directly affecting D6's school stuff.

I've been trying to think if talking to the school principal about some of these issues will help, at all. The principal is excellent, but I get the feeling their hands are tied, about what they can do, when one parent wants to be totally unreasonable.

Comment

I have my own rant of the week... we can't use any pharmacies in town because of my husband's ex's willful destruction. It is tiring. And in yours and our case, it isn't subjective - meaning, what could be the issue with a father writing a note or two in a child's agenda about their reading ability? It makes no sense at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Serene View Post
                  ...It is tiring...
                  Very.

Originally posted by Serene View Post
                  And in yours and our case, it isn't subjective - meaning, what could be the issue with a father writing a note or two in a child's agenda about their reading ability? It makes no sense at all.
                  See, and technically, it's not our child's agenda.
                  It's the booklet for the parents to write their comment in, and also indicate their child's reading progression back to the teacher. I wouldn't put such a comment in our child's agenda (if I ever get to see it that is), because then our child could maybe read and understand it (our child is 6, so maybe).

It's just ex being controlling as usual, and also taking the comment personally, because she knows, she is holding back the homework, and not doing it herself too. But, she doesn't want the teacher to realize this (though she already probably does).

Comment

When kid goes to school on your parenting days, is ex involved in drop off at all? I think you said kid goes back to mom and then to school?

Comment

You ARE recording these phone calls....right?

Comment

Originally posted by dad2bandm View Post
                        I actually photocopy it, using my home printer. So yes, I guess I have "evidence", though not sure anyone is actually interested in it. It's mostly for my own reference, since I don't see the booklet often, and am not sure really when to expect it next. I've mentioned to the teacher before, that if I see something when it comes to me, I will date and sign it, so she knows when I'm getting things. If I haven't date/signed it, then its not something I have seen or that has come to me.

Yes, I do.
                        I recently sent her via registered mail, some of the stuff she's been ignoring forever. (same stuff I emailed her) I've used registered mail a handful of times, to make sure I cover my butt.

Also, given her more recent "face to face" statement "It's not my responsibility to communicate with you. I don't have to check for emails..." I wasn't sure when she'd be next checking email at all. Looks like she ignored this last one. Likely may be getting it returned. It's been waiting at the postal outlet, for a few days now. She seems to now be avoiding registered mail.
                        Download Yesware. It will allow you to track whether or not she has opened an email. I don't think it would fly as evidence but you will at least know for yourself if she's seen/read an email. I use it for my ex.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
                          When kid goes to school on your parenting days, is ex involved in drop off at all? I think you said kid goes back to mom and then to school?
                          This is true, unfortunately.
                          Our current order states that exchange times happen before and well after school times, so it's done at Mom's place. This is bad, as it feeds the gatekeeping even more. And there are other issues with exchanges on Mom's front step.

I've asked that we utilize daycare, or school-care program, or switch the schedule to just say I will drop off/pickup on my days, directly at school, but Mom is totally against that. Of course. It will need to be court-ordered, for it to happen.

She uses that as part of her Gatekeeping reasons too, when she rants in-person, at exchanges. "I'm the one who brings her to school...!"

Comment

Perhaps you can discuss with the teacher moving communication to email rather than the notebook, or copy your notes from the book to the teacher via email to ensure they received it as you have concerns about kid's progress.

Comment

Record for what? Honestly, I'm sick and tired of hearing these comments. In the big scheme of things the judges don't care about this crap. Trust me.

We get the same shit - mom scribbles out stuff. Mom tears out the page (nothing to record/take pictures of when the page isn't there huh?) sometimes too....

Judges don't care.

We can't even enjoy the medical benefits that my husband and I each pay for because mom goes and scoops 6 months of medications she doesn't need at a time... so we have to pay out of pocket for meds for our house because our insurance has already been used (by her and with no need). What did a judge say - well all that matters is the kid gets the meds... ya, and we just paid twice for it by virtue of affording the insurance and then having to pay out of pocket.

At least with the school agenda issue no one is yelling at you... I got a call from the pharmacist with him yelling at both my husband and I about how mad he was at us! (mad for getting a prescription, bringing it in ourselves, asking for it to be filled, paid for on our own insurance, and then picking it up ourselves... ). Makes sense huh? lol

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X