This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Responding to an Offer to Settle

My ex's lawyer sent me an offer to settle. I agree with the general idea around it except for the details in which it's carried out-access details. How do I edit it? Or do I send him my own offer to settle or edit his and send it back?

I think I recall previously my old lawyer crossed out the parts we couldn't accept and sent the things we do agree with back.....

You can do it any way you want. If it is a Word document you can edit it the way you describe, the changes will be crossed out in red and your changes identified. Or you can do it by hand.

I would say to stay positive, when you make a change recommend as something that will benefit you both, or encourage ongoing open communication, etc. Try to show it as a benefit to the kids. If they turn down the change, put them into a corner where they are refusing change for very obvious selfish reasons. Show a willingness to negotiate on your part. This can all add up if it goes as far as court and one side is seeking costs.

Comment

He is seeking costs in his response already. Problem too is I filed a contempt motion cause he was not letting me see my son and the judge ordered ME to pay costs...and is saying my motion should be dismissed or postponed till i pay them. I am thinking about appealing that order. It was 3000 for one day and i wasn't being unreasonable. However his lawyer talked right over me. Want to get a lawyer before going to court again for sure....any advice on those issues as well?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X