Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jewellery pricing, engagement other ring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jewellery pricing, engagement other ring?

Hi

How do I get a price for my jewellery. My husband took my old appraisals from years ago so I can't even take this to somewhere to get an estimate and if I get another appraisal that's not really what I am going to be able to sell it for, or how do I figure out what it's worth? Do I have to put my engagement ring on my financial as this was before marriage. I have another ring though and thought maybe I should ask through my lawyers to have him return the appraisals and see what he says as I'm sure he will use these to et a price. He is getting everything out of me he can.

Thanks.

You go on kijiji or Craigslist and find out what you could get for it if you sold it. Use that amount, not the appraisal amount.

Comment

Where did the jewellery come from? If they were gifts to you, they don't count in equalization. The engagement ring was a gift from your ex. Leave it out. If the other ring was inherited from your grandmother, or your father gave it to you upon graduation or some such thing, it doesn't get counted. Only if the jewellery was something you bought for yourself with family money does it become part of equalization. Don't let him trick you into including anything and everything.

Comment

You can go see the cash man and he will give you money for your gold gold gold OH YA!

Oliver Jewellery Cashman Music Video - YouTube

Comment

So I can leave my engagement ring out? He bought me another ring while on a cruise and it's probably a 2 kt with baguettes. Not sure if I can find one like it. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Did your husband buy lots of jewellery for himself? I drove myself crazy trying to get what the value of my jewellery was (you don't want the valuations from the jeweller--it is what others have said.....what could you get for it today). In the end, we wrote down that the parties agreed to the keeping of our own jewellery (not that wording). My ex didn't write down values on his financial and the statement so this statement satisfied my lawyer.

My ex did the same as you....we changed my diamond just before we separated and i wasn't sure if that now meant it removed it as a gift prior to marriage. Was yours done on purpose???????

Comment

My ex will want the value of my ring on there. One we bought when we were away. His isn't worth that much, but he is going for everything he can get. He will not give me it I'm sure. He will want the value down there.

Comment

Ok so I kept thinking it had to be the evaluations by my jeweller that he had on file. I then went to a 'money lending" place....you give them jewellery etc., they lend you money...... He was willing to give me an evaluation of " what could I get for it today....like others indicated...if you sold on kijiji etc........

You never know about jewellery....I thought for sure mine would want it evaluated. Then found out he didn't want to evaluate any of his own glitter.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X