Income Tax question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Income Tax question

We have been separated for few years and still in the process of finalizing the separation agreement. It may be signed by both of us next month or the month after. Spousal support will start from the start of last year (Jan 2013). I have already paid SS for last year. I understand that I need to have signed agreement to claim SS on taxes. If I proceed without claiming SS for last year then I owe CRA $2500 which I really dont want to do. So can I wait till the agreement is signed (next month) and then file taxes? This way I will get some money back instead of paying CRA. Can I do it this way or does the agreement has to be signed before the tax due date?

I guess I found my answer on CRA website...

"If your court order or written agreement acknowledges support paid for your spouse or common-law partner in a year for which you have already filed an income tax and benefit return, you can ask for an adjustment"

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X