Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

New posts


  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2010, 02:27 PM
Paytable2 Paytable2 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 44
Paytable2 is on a distinguished road
Default Table amount change options

I have joint custody and have had just under 40% access which is about to change to 50%.
Our S/A states that I pay table amount only and no section 7 exp. due to my percentage of time with the kids.

So as it stands now my X pays all the expenses plus, books, sports fees etc etc and I pay table with near 38% access.

I live alone and my X is remarried.
My income is approx 90k
Her income was approx 45k but she quit her job last year to a babysitter for I assume about 30k-35k.
One child in Jr. HS. other in gr. 4 so daycare isn't an issue.
Her spouse est. income 60k.

I would like to consider seeking a change in our S/A support provisions to the offset method where based on incomes I would likely pay her about $500/mo less but of course have to pay my share of clothes, section 7 etc etc, still likely the $6000 less I pay her would be more than enough to cover that.

From the info on the federal family law sites it seems like the set-off method is somewhat of a standard, like the tables are for calculating support, is that true?. From what I read the guidelines refer to the set-off method as one acceptable way of calculating support obligation for 50/50 situations with differing incomes.

Given that my access has changed to 50% is it likely that a judge would accept my application and order the set-off method for calculating support?

I did the rough calculations for standard of living and with my x's family income including my projected support contribution using the set-off method and my household has the lower standard of living.
I don't want to ask for a change because she remarried, I simply state this because it should IMO prevent her from claiming undue hardship because my income is 3x hers.

I believe the 50% access change constitutes a material change and should merit amendment of our S/A support provisions.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:10 PM
epinecone epinecone is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 103
epinecone is on a distinguished road
Default Interesting..

High Paytable2,

I will be interested to see the answers to this one as well. It feels like I have received a different answer every time I have asked this question.

The offset method is the answer I got here on Otawa divorce, browsing the web has shown a couple experiences at agreeing on a lower rate, My lawyer says that a judge may decide full table amount, more, less, or offset method.

I have posted another thread that noone has responded too asking how to get a self created motion to vary CS..
Closed Thread

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Joint Effort to Change Table Amounts of CS 350_dad Political Issues 43 12-18-2009 02:01 AM
Motion to change (child support) bg78 Financial Issues 9 12-02-2009 09:17 AM
Motion to change support amount.. Suchislife Financial Issues 2 01-27-2008 09:24 PM
Unilateral Change to CS Amount DadofTwoGirls Divorce & Family Law 3 12-21-2006 07:49 PM
Unilateral Change to CS Amount DadofTwoGirls Divorce & Family Law 2 12-20-2006 08:37 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:16 AM.