New here, need CS advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here, need CS advice

Hey all, new here, need some non-biased opinions, as I can't tell if I'm being stupid about this.
    My ex and I have one child who primarily lives with me, ex lives in another city and he has our son every other weekend.
    Ex is currently paying me approximately $150/month under the table amount. Used to be $100 under but he has had a salary increase. We agreed to $100 under because he would travel to my city once a month to stay with his parents here and visit with our son here to reduce travel strain on our son, the difference is to offset gas prices.

With his salary increase, on top of cost of living increases over this past year I think he should be paying more. He is a difficult person to deal with and as of right now things are fine and I'm hesitating because I don't want to rock the boat so to speak. I think it should be bumped up so that it will only be $50 under the table amount. He also has not been doing this trip as of the last 4 months although that will change once hockey starts.

Basically what I'm asking for us help justifying the increase. Do most of you use the table amount? more? Less? Any other thoughts?

How far is your ex travelling to visit?

How old is your son?

Do you guys have a formal agreement?

Comment

Originally posted by iona6656 View Post

How old is your son?

Also, who chose to move?

Comment

How old is your son?

Ex is travelling 3 hours one way for this trip. Son is 6. We do have a formal agreement but this arrangement is NOT in it.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
          Also, who chose to move?
          He actually suggested that I move so I could have support from both of our families.

Comment

That's at least a tank of gas- and it helps your son. I think it depends on your financial circumstance- but I would definitely leave it alone for an extra $100/month.

Do you guys exchange NOAs? If my ex was to go up significantly- then I would be making it more of an issue.

Comment

Also- I just use the table amount. And I could be wrong- but I don't believe cost of living factors into child support at all. It sucks for the parent who has primary care and is buying the majority of the clothes, etc...but I don't know there's anything to do for that.

Comment

I’m with iona. $150 is round trip travel. He needs to see his son and he could turn around and say move back. You would be eligible for other income amounts to help with cost of living like section 7 costs, tax benefits, baby bonus, eligible dependent, subsidies and gst rebates. $100 a month is not significant enough to battle over. You have family nearby to help as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Brampton33 View Post
                  I would say its more-less case specific on whether or not it sucks for the parent with primary care. It all depends on the incoming Table Amount. I am well aware of some parents who bring in Table Amount who are making decent profit after the provision of food, shelter, clothes, etc. So sucks for some, whereas its gravy for others.
                  How would you even calculate "profit"?

Given the Tables were introduced in 2017...take a look at what has happened to housing costs, and general inflation since then?

Comment

Originally posted by Brampton33 View Post
                    Not going to get into debate with you as I think that would be redundant. Housing costs from 2017-2022 only impacts those who are entering the rental or housing market during those years. If you are renting, your rent increased in accordance with the rental increase guidelines. If you already had a mortgage, your mortgage payments were in accordance with the purchase price of your house.

Again, I will not debate with someone who clearly has an agenda for what they wish to advocate for. All I was saying is that I am well aware of some parents who are making $90,000 annually, and taking in $1200 monthly for child support for 1 child (aged 3). Sure, diapers has increased $5/box, but overall the person was making bank. Such person was vacationing, new car, new furniture, etc while the other parent was scraping by making payments.

I will not respond to any further commentary on this subject.

Your original comment was pretty bad only to be followed by this one. Most single parents barely get by and while you may think rental increases follow rules, they don’t always do that. Not to mention with interest rate increases mortgage rates may not be the same either. Add in credit debt to keep yourself afloat and it’s a cause for concern. Food, utilities and transportation have also increased which means a parent with kids full time has additional burdens.

There’s no debate needed. Leave your feelings toward your ex out of it.

Comment

How would you even calculate "profit"?

OP gets CS at $100 a month, and I am not doubting cost of raising a child more than $100 a month.

But there are cases with CS in 5,000+ or even 10,000+ a month. The child would probably see $400-500 a month. Rest are just going to bank account of receiver.

OP - stay clear of any litigation, it ain’t worth it. Considering you are still talking, the best for your case is to have it resolved by using my support calculator and out of court. When he starts making 100,000+, post again.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X