Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Termination of ss due to relocation to another country. Past court cases.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Termination of ss due to relocation to another country. Past court cases.

Hello everyone.
    I've heard rumors of termination of spousal support by the Canadian jurdge due to relocation of the recipient to another country if initially spousal support was assigned by the Canadian jurdge.
    I'm looking for a such past court cases where a spousal support initially was assigned by judge and after spousal support was terminated by judge because recipient has moved to another country.

Please let me know if you have seen or heard of such court cases.

Thank You.

Interesting, but I'd be surprised if this is the case.

If SS is terminated because the recipient moves outside of Canada, what would happen if they moved back a year later?

Comment

Originally posted by ifonlyihadknown View Post
      Interesting, but I'd be surprised if this is the case.

If SS is terminated because the recipient moves outside of Canada, what would happen if they moved back a year later?
      If you move to say Saudi Arabia or another country that FRO or similar service does not have an agreement with then the SS recipient has NO WAY of collection SS. There are a number of countries that do not have reciprocal collection agreements.

You basically have to move to a country that most people are leaving to get out of SS obligations. People do it all the time.

Comment

Sure. You can run away.

My reading of the OP's question was that the recipient leaves Canada and a Canadian judge therefore cancels the SS obligations of the payor.

Comment

Originally posted by ifonlyihadknown View Post
          Sure. You can run away.

My reading of the OP's question was that the recipient leaves Canada and a Canadian judge therefore cancels the SS obligations of the payor.

Comment

Sorry, for some misunderstanding.
            I would like to clarify my question:
            I have heard the such stories/rumors: let's says married couple got a divorced. Separation was not on concent and it was not a separation agreement. So the jurdge was invoved and jurdge made a decision that one spouse would pay a spousal support to another spouse. Let's say after a few years recipient spouse left Canada for other country. Payer spouse filed a motion to change due to relocation of recipient spouse to other country (material change in circumstances). And jurdge makes a decision of termination (may be temporary) of spousal support.

I am looking for such (similar scenario) court cases in a past. Please let me know if you have met one.

Thank You

Comment

It's too case specific but imo it shouldn't/wouldn't happen.

How long were you together? How old is ex? Why did they get ss? Indefinitely? Are they self sufficient? Why does it matter where they live?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X