Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:14 PM

advice needed is on a distinguished road

Thanks a lot Moving, it encourages me. I have been willing to come to the table from day one, the other party refuses to even talk, its their way or highway. I like that this Judge actually took the approach to talk to the child and see what she wants and how mature she is to make that decision. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:27 PM

movingON1975 is on a distinguished road

The more I think about your post the more I think it might be better to "let sleeping dogs lie".

He is almost 14 now, in 2 years he can dictate where he lives, and in 2 years after that he can live on his own, vote, drink in some provinces, with no conditions. Your ex is feeding him a line about the court order, and he is going to grow to resent her as he gets older.

If you go to court, it will take 2 years, and they might give him to you equal time. OR in two years, he can bring his stuff to your house, and the cops cant do squat about it, see link in footnote. You can use the money and stress you saved from noting going to court to enjoy your time with him.

Be there for him, maximize your time with him - even if its (secret) meet ups at Tim Hortons after school with him, etc. Your bond will continue to grow, and he will understand exactly what is going on. Actions do speak louder that words.

When he is old enough to be his own person in the eyes of the law, he will know where he wants to live, and be able to do it.

http://www.jfcy.org/PDFs/Leaving_Home_Sept2010.pdf
Old 10-17-2014, 04:49 PM

advice needed is on a distinguished road

Thanks Moving.. its great advice. Yes I already have been doing exactly what you suggest. I didnt miss a single saturday at the supervised access centre, which honestly I found absurd and ridiculous. A father who has loved his son and been there for him since birth, was forced to see him at a supervised access center. I do see him now even on weekdays, at a mall, we play volleyball and badminton etc.
Thanks