What is a Factum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a Factum?

I've just been informed that I need to submit a Factum with the next Motion. The Judge put it in the Endorsement for the Adjourned Motion we just had.

Not sure why since it is fairly simple - The Respondent has a higher salary, The Child resides almost all the time with the Applicant so Child Support should be fairly simple.

Is there any examples and where do I find a template? I can't find it anywhere in the Ontario Family Court Forms.

There is no template for a factum. It is a summary of the facts and law as it applies to the facts. Your written argument, which should mirror your oral submissions.

Factums can be ordered into three sections

1. ORDERS REQUESTED

(tell the judge what you want them to do)

2. FACTS

(in paragraph form, identify the relevant facts to the relief requested. If you're seeking child support, income of the payor is relevant, the fact that they smoked weed in high school is not).

Citations. Cite paragraphs in your affidavit (or other affidavits) where the facts can be found.

3. LAW AND ANALYSIS

State the law, quoting from statute and case law. Then explain why it applies to your case.

Citations. Identify the statue and case law you're relying upon.

Comment

Originally posted by Kinso View Post
      the fact that they smoked weed in high school is not
      This is joy right here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I actually just found a Factum template for Toronto Family Superior Court. It has basically the 3 points listed in the previous Reply but provides a format to use.

Thank you for the reply.

Comment

I just need to find statue & case law for why Child Support is be paid:

3. LAW AND ANALYSIS

State the law, quoting from statute and case law. Then explain why it applies to your case.

Comment

Thats in the federal child support guidelines and the caselaw is DBS supreme court decision.

Comment

DBS is about retroactive child support.

If the parties never married it could be the provincial child support guidelines.

Comment

DBS is about retroactive child support.

If the parties never married it could be the provincial child support guidelines.

I think she’s also claiming retro support and her ex is pushing for delays which is why I suggested that one as well. I didn’t think she needed case law for actual payment of support. Would she?

Comment

There is no template for a factum. It is a summary of the facts and law as it applies to the facts. Your written argument, which should mirror your oral submissions.

Factums can be ordered into three sections

1. ORDERS REQUESTED

(tell the judge what you want them to do)

2. FACTS

(in paragraph form, identify the relevant facts to the relief requested. If you're seeking child support, income of the payor is relevant, the fact that they smoked weed in high school is not).

Citations. Cite paragraphs in your affidavit (or other affidavits) where the facts can be found.

3. LAW AND ANALYSIS

Citations. Identify the statue and case law you're relying upon.
                  I think that is the best concise description of a factum that I have ever seen. The concept of a factum was the hardest for me to wrap my head around (back in the day) because it is never clearly explained anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
                    I think that is the best concise description of a factum that I have ever seen. The concept of a factum was the hardest for me to wrap my head around (back in the day) because it is never clearly explained anywhere.
                    Because you smoked too much weed.

Womp. Womp. Womp.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
                      Because you smoked too much weed.
                      It was not legal back then, so as an upstanding citizen I would never have engaged in such behaviour.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X