Copyright issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copyright issues

I keep seeing references to not sourcing stuff what's the reason for the high strungness on the issue, never seen that as an issue on a forum?

It's been an issue on every forum i've ever been a member or administrator at.

Read the penalties, you'll see why. It isn't the individual poster that's on the hook.

Comment

@links17.....

It was a system glitch where my usual "SOURCE" clicky that you might have seen in many of my posts, didn't take in a certain post where I was told to produce the "source", that sprung the "strungness"

I am well aware of the notion of referencing work that is not yours, and also know that 'Wikipedia' is also not a reliable / credible source of references.

I never claim to be a lawyer, or that the words I put in quotes are mine. I try to help where I can by quoting and providing links, just like certain people do on here

NOTE: As with any intellectual property that isn't your own...once you take part of / in full.....you have to give credit by producing the source. So if you post this on a public forum or elsewhere, you produce the "source" i.e. origin of the content you posted...just like one will do when writing a paper

The thank you PMs that I receive, make up for the "strungness".

I am a member of other forums, as well as an administrator and mod for a number of different forums

It's all good...I guess we just have to keep an eye out for what everyone is posting, by making sure references are provided
      Last edited by FWB; 01-19-2014, 12:51 AM.

Comment

FWB, if your "clicky" doesn't work - which I have never seen happen - then the solution is to edit your post and do it over. You also have the option of PMing a mod to indicate you have a problem.

Don't plagiarize. If you quote something, PUT IT IN A QUOTE BOX. Indicate the source. Providing a link is not required by copyright, it is just courtesy to other members so that they may read the entire thing.

Your comment on material should be greater than the amount of material you quote. Do not just quote something and leave it at that.

These rules are true in academia, and they are also true for copyright law and the rules of fair use.

Edit to add:

You have done it more than once and I have edited the posts. I am also not singling you out; I have warned other members in the past not to do this.

Ottawa Divorce Forums is liable for copyright violation.

When copying non-copyright material - for example case law, legislation, or government information, you still should not plagiarize. You should indicate the source. Plagiarism discredits you. It also prevents readers from fact checking and reading more deeply.

I have written thousands of pages in academia, and tens of thousands of internet posts without plagiarizing. It is not rocket science.

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
          I keep seeing references to not sourcing stuff what's the reason for the high strungness on the issue, never seen that as an issue on a forum?
          Sorry, but I can't believe you are even asking this, especially here.

This forum is for people struggling with legal issues. If someone is going to court, they need reliable information, they need to be able to check facts, they need to know where the information came from because they are likely going to use it in their court pleadings, or at the very least, use it as support in negotiations.

It goes beyond just answering a question for someone who posts; other people may come here weeks or months later and search for an answer. We maintain the forum so that it exists as a reference for anyone searching for information.

I often Google for information and our forum comes up as one of the top responses.

Information has to be verifiable, so it must include a citation or else it is worthless.

Many people here post from their personal experience in court, and that is great. This information can't be cited, and has to be taken "as is." It can still be valuable, but anyone reading should be able to have a clear understanding about where the information came from and how reliable it is, so they can make their own judgement.

One poster a couple of years ago was banned for continually posting garbage that was incorrect, or a misunderstood interpretation of something they had heard or read, and presenting it as fact and law.

If the mods don't keep on top of this, then you may as well flip a coin in order to decide if information is reliable or not.

I don't want to discourage anyone from offering a personal experience, an opinion, or an interpretation. It should just be clear where the ideas or information is coming from.

Comment

I think Mess raises a very important subject. Plagiarism is considered one of the most serious offences at universities ANYWHERE.

The attached is a description of plagiarism from the Simon Fraser University in B.C. which I think might be useful for those not familiar with the term:

What is Plagiarism? | SFU Library

Many 1st year students at university struggle with this when writing their very first papers. At one time it was mandatory for students to take a course on acceptable writing standards their first year of studies. The American Psychological Association is a common standard for submission of many academic papers:

http://www.apastyle.org/
            Last edited by arabian; 01-19-2014, 10:17 AM. Reason: adding source of course!

Comment

@Arabian

Plagiarism is indeed very important in academia, just like patent infringement is important in the business world...nobody is disputing that.

I hold two degrees from a top 10 European university, have written lots of papers also, as well has worked on many mathematical, Physics and Chemistry theories

Students are indeed made to sign an acknowledgement of this problem in the first year, as well as in other years of study.

Anyway....I guess we will all just look out now for what everyone is posting, so it does look like one person is being singled out.

Stay blessed.

PS: It's a lovely snowy day here in Michigan today, time to hit the slopes with the snowboard

Comment

fwb - you are a multi-degree individual who speaks many languages. You have travelled extensively and therefore know cultural differences the world over. You have recently been "neutered" and have executed your separation because you correctly anticipated and negotiated. Also sounds like you are in top physical condition.

Do you have any failings whatsoever?

BTW - if you PM me, expecting a response, please ensure your mailbox is empty in the future.
                Last edited by arabian; 01-19-2014, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mess View Post
                  I have written thousands of pages in academia, and tens of thousands of internet posts without plagiarizing. It is not rocket science.
                  Denial - not just a river in Egypt.
                  Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Originally posted by FWB View Post
                    I hold two degrees from a top 10 European university, have written lots of papers also, as well has worked on many mathematical, Physics and Chemistry theories
                    Then you should be fully capable of properly identifying your sources.

Earlier you claimed you were an administrator on a number of message boards. You should be able to edit your posts if your "clicky" doesn't work.

Comment

Do you have any failings whatsoever?
                      Oh...believe me I do, and you also know am not able to apologize when wrong. I am only human, and like any reasonable human, I don't claim to be perfect, nor lay blame all the time on the other party

Now if I may ask you the same question...do you have any failings?

PS: There is no dispute to everything you listed about me We've spoken offline

Comment

The following is a pretty good explanation of "copyright" and "plagiarism" from the University of Saskatchewan:

Plagiarism & Copyright Infringement - University of Saskatchewan

Comment

Of course I have personal failings. One example is quite evident - I had a failed marriage and of course am equally to blame for that one. I have taken full responsibility and ownership.

I am certainly not an expert on anything nor do I purport to be. I currently hold no memberships in any professional association nor do I have an advanced degree in any particular field of study. I understand that privacy is important on the forum but I believe accountability and responsibility are equally important. Giving the impression that one is an expert in a field, when one isn't, is simply wrong. The only way to curb that is to ask people to provide references to the material they are obviously copying from.

With that said, if I accidentally or intentionally do not include references I would hope the moderators (or anyone else for that matter) call me out on it. Accountability keeps the information flow more precise, in my opinion.

Comment

You have significant personal experience in business, experience in sorting out an extremely complicated divorce with a split of business ownership, and a strong understanding of spousal support issues. Your knowledge is completely valid and important, and you have always stated that you are speaking from your own experience so there has never been an issue.

Comment

Another example of copyright issue.

"The Nigeria Forum Computer Internet" is taking threads from our forum such as this one, http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...30/#post161235 and posting them in their own forum with made up usernames, such as here: http://www.naijasite.com/threads/129...#axzz2qrkH1s7C

It is pretty obvious and pathetic when names are mentioned that don't match the posts, or with Tayken's name in his signature.

I am alerting Jeff to this; I don't know what his follow up will be, that is up to him. But this is an example of your own words - I see FWB, Arabian, Tayken, etc. - being stolen.

There is no protection on the internet against being plaiarized, but this is an example of how foul it can be, even to steal a few comments from our posts.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X