failure to submit response?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• failure to submit response?

Hi, Sorry I posted this in the wrong place (downloaded the new phone app and not sure what happened but here goes again) if there is a way to delete it out of common law section please let me know that.)

Partner tried to serve ex with contempt motion. Evaded service for days.

Court approved mail service.

She Failed to submit any papers and the deadline is gone.

Curious what will happen if she fails to show up to court or shows up with no response filed?

Anyone experience this?

It has been my experience in Alberta anyhow that the judges are pretty lenient on self-represented people.

If the opposing party can make a compelling argument and requests an adjournment then you are looking at another court time. Sometimes lawyers will actually tell people (off the record of course) to go to the court date and plead that they need more time to find legal counsel [dog ate the homework sort of thing].

If judges were to go by the rules then of course this wouldn't happen. How many judges really go by the rules though?

So don't get your hopes up. Plan for an adjournment.
    Last edited by arabian; 02-11-2014, 11:43 PM.

Comment

follow up:

Judge Didn't care that she didn't file papers but did deem she was "unreasonable in her stance" and ordered make up time.

Other issues to complicated to address in a contempt motion so will have to proceed with a motion to change.

Small victory.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X