Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I know if support is registered through FRO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I know if support is registered through FRO?

I have a temporary support order that says to pay a specific amount until March 2014, and then change the amount yearly based on previous year income (ie Starting April 2104, pay based on 2013 incomes).

Can this type of variable order be enforced by FRO?

I'm concerned that if I pay my ex while she is registering this with FRO that I may not get credit for payments made directly to her. How can I mitigate this?

Sounds like the standard order most of us have, other than the annual reassessment month.

If the court ordered it then FRO will be involved and I suggest you pay nothing directly to ex until you receive confirmation from FRO that you are "in the system".

At that point you can see exactly what date the CS order was enforced, if there are indeed any arrears and, if that's the case, arrange to pay the arrears to FRO...not your ex.

Comment

Originally posted by billm View Post
      I have a temporary support order that says to pay a specific amount until March 2014, and then change the amount yearly based on previous year income (ie Starting April 2104, pay based on 2013 incomes).

Can this type of variable order be enforced by FRO?

I'm concerned that if I pay my ex while she is registering this with FRO that I may not get credit for payments made directly to her. How can I mitigate this?
      FRO will contact you, in my case it was 3 months after my ex registered with them. Then you can start paying them directly. Just a heads up, the first letter comes across heavy handed, as if they intend to garnish your wages. It is a scare tactic.

You will get credit, if you can prove it(answered in the other thread).

Comment

Only the specific amount can be enforced. FRO cannot enforce new amounts. You can elect to change the amount mutually tho.

Comment

Originally posted by DowntroddenDad View Post
          FRO will contact you, in my case it was 3 months after my ex registered with them. Then you can start paying them directly. Just a heads up, the first letter comes across heavy handed, as if they intend to garnish your wages. It is a scare tactic.

You will get credit, if you can prove it(answered in the other thread).
          In my case I was told to (and did) pay my ex directly until I received the documents from FRO. I then stopped paying directly. KEEP copies of the cashed cheques and write 'child support for xxx' on the memo line.

When I received the documents from FRO I faxed them the pre-authorized payment form (the'll send it to you), the copies of the cashed cheques and a copy of our order. Strangely, even though they had sent me a letter they hadn't yet received the order - apparently they get notified, then they receive the paperwork and since my order was done at a busy time of year they hadn't received it.

At that point I made zero payments because I was told not to pay directly and I still couldn't pay FRO because we weren't yet registered. A month later I was able to pay them online so I paid up and then the next month the pre-authorized debit started.

If that's confusing PM me and I can explain better.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X