This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holidays

Hi, how is everyone splitting holidays? I imagine Easter, thanksgiving and Christmas are alternated, but what do you do with the lessor holidays- family day, valentines, st. Patrick's, rememberance, Victoria day, Canada day, labour day, Halloween. I'm thinking if your time with kids falls on those holidays, you just get them?

the way my bf and his ex work it is that if it is his weekend he gets his child the two days and the mother gets the actual holiday. If its not his weekend then he gets her for the actual day the holiday falls on so if its her weekend she has the child the sat and sun and he would get the monday or friday whatever day the holiday is.

i wouldnt worry about holidays where there is no actual day off school/work etc.

Comment

I agree... If you are able to work out that you alternate every holiday that's great, however for the lesser holidays are not something to stress over

Comment

The only days that my X and I have stipulated in our separation agreement is Christmas, and of course special days like the kids birthdays, or Mother's/Father's Day, or mine or my X's birthdays.

The other holidays, if it's our week with the kids, then they are with us, for example this coming Canada Day, it's my week/weekend with the kids, but they will go back to their father's at 4pm on the Sunday, July 1st, and I will be home with a day off on the Monday and he will be off with the Kids.

Everyone's situation is different, and my X and I actually get along really well and we are both really flexible with dates and extra time with the kids.

Angie

Comment

For us, the parent who has the kids that weekend gets the long weekend. That is least disruptive to the overall schedule, is predictable, and requires no negotiation, and works out fairly over the long run (assuming weekends alternating).

You might want to treat school PD days that fall on Monday and Friday the same way. School PD days midweek - makes sense to go with whoever drops off that morning (OR whoever picks up that day).

For the non-holiday holidays e.g. Valentines Day, no change to the schedule ... EXCEPT for halloween!!! We alternate that each year.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X