This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hoping582 View Post
    How can we file jointly for divorce if we live 2 hours apart? We also work 2 different shifts.

One of you does an uncontested divorce. The other doesn’t contest it. IMO it’s better than joint divorce, you don’t have to sit in a waiting room with your ex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If I was looking for a good lawyer, should I hire one who tries to advertise his website in a sleazy way? I'm especially interested in a lawyer who has such a shoddy business that he cannot afford advertising, but is also not competent enough to participate meaningfully in the forum in order to gain some measure of respect.

So Hummingbird lawyers or whatever you are called, do you fit the bill? Are you lousy enough to be my lawyer?

Comment

Hi there. After months of playing games, my ex finally signed the separation agreeement and as of May 15th, I was eligible for a divorce. I'm confused about the process. Everything is done. Kids aren't his, house was signed over to me and we each took our own debt. I want a divorce but I don't know what to do for a simple divorce. I don't know if he'll be a jerk and contest it just to bother me.

Can anyone help me guide me through this? I'm in the Durham Region area and I guess I have to file through Oshawa. I just don't know what forms to fill and how to serve him, since he's never given me an actual address. I think he's still living with his brother but I don't know which unit. I just don't want anymore game playing and I'd like to sever all ties.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Frostrated View Post
          Hi there. After months of playing games, my ex finally signed the separation agreeement and as of May 15th, I was eligible for a divorce. I'm confused about the process. Everything is done. Kids aren't his, house was signed over to me and we each took our own debt. I want a divorce but I don't know what to do for a simple divorce. I don't know if he'll be a jerk and contest it just to bother me.

Can anyone help me guide me through this? I'm in the Durham Region area and I guess I have to file through Oshawa. I just don't know what forms to fill and how to serve him, since he's never given me an actual address. I think he's still living with his brother but I don't know which unit. I just don't want anymore game playing and I'd like to sever all ties.

Thanks
          Within the last few months or so, the Superior Court in Ontario has started accepting Online Simple Divorce, Joint Divorce and other filings through the Online Justice Portal, just google it.

The process I followed in a nutshell to get my simple divorce was as followed:
          1. Apply online for a simple divorce (Application 8A is issued - you get an email from the court a day later).

2. Print and serve a copy of this Application and a blank Form 10: Answer on your ex. It has to be special service which means you cannot serve this yourself. Hire a process server or have another adult serve (give a copy) to your ex.

3. That process server or adult swears an affidavit of service Form 6B, swearing that they served your ex.

4. Wait 30 days for your ex to respond. If no response is received, that is good. It means you can proceed with simple divorce and follow the steps outlined below.

5. Complete Form 36: Affidavit for Divorce and have it sworn.

6. Log back into Justice Online Portal, select File Documents for Existing Case Option. Then fill in your info and upload PDFs of following doc's:
          i) sworn Form 6B (the form you had process server or another adult complete in step 3)
          ii) sworn Form 36
          iii) copy of marriage certificate (if not already provided when you completed your online application)
          iv) copy of child support order (if there are children of marriage and to show the court that CS is already taken care of)
          v) draft divorce order - Form 25A.

After a couple of weeks, you will receive an email from the Court if your filings are accepted. If so, they will be presented to the judge. If everything is in order, the judge will sign your draft divorce order. The court staff will email you a copy of the signed draft order.

7. Wait 31 days until the draft order takes effect (i.e. no appeal is made against this order). Once this period passes, complete a draft Form 36B: Certification of Divorce and submit it to the court through the Online Justice Portal in the same manner as I explained above.

8. After a few days, you should receive a signed Certificate of Divorce. This completes the simple divorce process and now you should be able to legally remarry.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Comment

seeker101 - what were the costs associated with the above online process? Do you need a notary for step 5 (or others)?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by whyme? View Post
              seeker101 - what were the costs associated with the above online process? Do you need a notary for step 5 (or others)?

Thanks!
              Cost breakdown:
              Application: $212
              Filing supporting affidavit: $420
              Certificate of Divorce: $24
              Total: $656

Yes, you need a notary to commission Form 36 (affidavit of divorce) and Form 6B (affidavit of service).

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Comment

This thread is extremely helpful, thank you to everyone who has contributed.

I am going through a joint divorce, with a co-operative ex, and we are hoping to get through it all without more legal bills.

I do not understand how Form 36 works. It says 'one completed for you, and one for your spouse'. But bullet 1 on the form says "I am the applicant in this divorce case."... does the Respondent sign the same form with their name and address on it?

Comment

This thread is extremely helpful, thank you to everyone who has contributed.

I am going through a joint divorce, with a co-operative ex, and we are hoping to get through it all without more legal bills.

I do not understand how Form 36 works. It says 'one completed for you, and one for your spouse'. But bullet 1 on the form says "I am the applicant in this divorce case."... does the Respondent sign the same form with their name and address on it?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X