Supervised access questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supervised access questions

My child has been place in my sole custody as a protection from my ex who has been charged with assault for hitting them. I am filing a motion to change my joint custody arrangement to sole custody. A few questions:

- do I have to provide 2 supervised visits per week? Cas has told me that my ex is entitled to 2.
    - once my ex has completed whatever the cas requires her to do, how difficult will it be for them to gain back joint custody and 50/50 access back?

Thanks

Originally posted by Teddie View Post
    My child has been place in my sole custody as a protection from my ex who has been charged with assault for hitting them. I am filing a motion to change my joint custody arrangement to sole custody. A few questions:

- do I have to provide 2 supervised visits per week? Cas has told me that my ex is entitled to 2.
    - once my ex has completed whatever the cas requires her to do, how difficult will it be for them to gain back joint custody and 50/50 access back?

Thanks
    Weird. Generally, for this to happen the CAS would have to take action under the Family Services Act and obtain an order. They only have a few days to execute this. You wouldn't be a party to that matter and it would be the CAS who is making the Application.

So, they may be telling you what their requested access to the other parent is on their Application.

Why are you taking any action if the CAS has acted?

Good Luck!
    Tayken

Comment

Hitting as in spanking? Were there injuries to the children?

Whether or not to provide 2 supervised visits or not probably depends on the level of trauma the children have, if any. Are they traumatized? If not, the more access to their mother the better. It's their mom.

Is there a history (pattern) of abuse or was this a one time deal? If it's the latter then there's a great chance of joint custody again in the future after mom undergoes a few processes.

I'm also confused about the CAS thing Tayken brought up. Could you touch on that?

Comment

Originally posted by LovingFather32 View Post

Whether or not to provide 2 supervised visits or not probably depends on the level of trauma the children have, if any. Are they traumatized? If not, the more access to their mother the better. It's their mom.

Is there a history (pattern) of abuse or was this a one time deal? If it's the latter then there's a great chance of joint custody again in the future after mom undergoes a few processes.
        I am confused as CAS needs to act under the Family Services Act and bring a motion after the removal of children. They are the ones who have the evidence of abuse and removed the children.

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90c11#BK59

Comment

Originally posted by LovingFather32 View Post

I'm also confused about the CAS thing Tayken brought up. Could you touch on that?
          There were injuries in the form of significant bruising. My child told them that this was not an isolated incident. Police have layed charges of assault causing bodily harm. Ex was charged and released on a condition to appear in court and to not have contact with the child, myself and the school unless it's approved supervised access. The cas call this a "protection plan" in place until ex receives the help they need.

Comment

Who apprehended the children? If CAS apprehended the children and placed them in your care, they would be the ones who would have to go to court to request no access with the mother.

This is something I have been in discussions about the past several weeks, as my husband and I are becoming foster parents. CAS only has 1-2 days to get to court and gain access of the child. I do not believe they have the authority to tell you to go to court. With that being said, we haven't really discussed what happens in divorce situations, but usually CAS has to get before a judge and quick to remove access.

If the other parent is working with CAS in their protection plan, you going to court may be unsuccessful as CAS in already involved and is working with the other parent.

Comment

In my case when my ex assaulted the children, CAS interviewed them , charges were laid and criminal court ordered my ex to leave the matrimonial home and have no contact. The CAS then backed right off and never did attend court. I felt they should have but they closed the file as they felt the children were safe in my care . They left it up to the criminal court and then the family court to duke it out regarding acccess.

Comment

My ex is not allowed to see my son as a condition of their release pending a court hearing; this was put in place by the Ottawa police. The CAS are the ones who are trying to facilitate some supervised access, however, they've informed me that I am under no obligation to provide any access at this point.

The CAS has told me that my ex is not being cooperative and is unwilling to answer questions regarding the incident.

Comment

How old is the child?

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
                    How old is the child?
                    Just turned 9

Comment

My ex is not allowed to see my son as a condition of their release pending a court hearing; this was put in place by the Ottawa police. The CAS are the ones who are trying to facilitate some supervised access, however, they've informed me that I am under no obligation to provide any access at this point.

The CAS has told me that my ex is not being cooperative and is unwilling to answer questions regarding the incident.
                      It sounds like the other parent entered a plea with conditions. This is a binding agreement. The CAS are the party that will represent the children and investigate the matter most likely. It all falls under the Family Services Act.

With regards to access you should request a copy of the conditions that were agreed to by the other party. As a parent you have a right to know what conditions have been placed on that parent with regards to contact with the child.

You should also get a lawyer. This is no simple matter at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
                        It sounds like the other parent entered a plea with conditions. This is a binding agreement. The CAS are the party that will represent the children and investigate the matter most likely. It all falls under the Family Services Act.

With regards to access you should request a copy of the conditions that were agreed to by the other party. As a parent you have a right to know what conditions have been placed on that parent with regards to contact with the child.

You should also get a lawyer. This is no simple matter at all.
                        My ex did not enter a plea. They were arrested on charges of assault and released with conditions. I was told that they were not answering questions regarding the incident. I have received a copy of the conditions. Thanks

Comment

My ex did not enter a plea. They were arrested on charges of assault and released with conditions. I was told that they were not answering questions regarding the incident. I have received a copy of the conditions. Thanks
                          What are the conditions?

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
                            What are the conditions?
                            They are not to attend or contact the school or daycare and not to contact myself or my son. Also, a promise to appear in court.

Comment

They are not to attend or contact the school or daycare and not to contact myself or my son. Also, a promise to appear in court.
                              4. Arrest and Bail - Best Practices where there is Family Violence (Criminal Law Perspective)

“No contact directly or indirectly with the complainant except through a mutually agreeable third-party or pursuant to a Family Court order and only for purposes of arranging and facilitating child access.”

“Contact with children to be exercised under the supervision of the child protection agency or pursuant to the order of a court of competent jurisdiction.”

“Contact with children pursuant to a Family Court order that post-dates the date of this order” “Contact with children pursuant to a Family Court order”

This page covers it all...

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X