Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok Pink, so I'm new. I have looked at this site before, but your post about regret prompted me to join. I do feel some guilt and regret, but am working to resolve these issues so I can move forward. I did the oposite of you. My ex and I never fought, or very rarely. It seemed like we lived in a marriage of indifference. I waited till my kids were grown. I had, or thought I had come to terms with "this is my life and just deal with it". Havent been happy for years. Burried those feelings so I could pretend to myself that it was good. Somehow I found the strength this fall to utter those words; "I'm leaving". Most difficult thing I ever did.
    I am so much more at ease now. As far as if it is better to leave sonner rather than later; to each his own. I waited and it is what it is. My kids are 21, 19 and 16. The two oldest are away at school. It's the oldest who is a girl who is having the most difficulty, however she is also the one who knows I have been unhappy for years. The other two are boys and are taking it very matter of fact.
    Do I regret waiting. No, cause obviously I did it when I was ready to do it. Do I feel guilt, remorse; yes. I do feel I have betrayed the family unit for my own happiness. However, having said that I know I was at the end of my rope and could no longer deal with the continuous burying my feelings. So it is better for me and in the end it will be better for everyone, if they choose it to be.
    Hows that for a first post. lol This is a difficult process, but I do believe that in the end it will be for the best. Attitude is everything.
    And I know I intend on making the best of this, cause if it isn't, imagine putting my family through this and then not being happier!

Comment

No guilt. Some regret - but only that I didn't leave a lot sooner. The only guilt I feel is that I chose who I did to be my son's father. It's an incredibly huge sacrifice to make - to stay - "for the sake of the kids."

Comment

Originally posted by mglee View Post
        Ok Pink, so I'm new. I have looked at this site before, but your post about regret prompted me to join. I do feel some guilt and regret, but am working to resolve these issues so I can move forward. I did the oposite of you. My ex and I never fought, or very rarely. It seemed like we lived in a marriage of indifference. I waited till my kids were grown. I had, or thought I had come to terms with "this is my life and just deal with it". Havent been happy for years. Burried those feelings so I could pretend to myself that it was good. Somehow I found the strength this fall to utter those words; "I'm leaving". Most difficult thing I ever did.
        I am so much more at ease now. As far as if it is better to leave sonner rather than later; to each his own. I waited and it is what it is. My kids are 21, 19 and 16. The two oldest are away at school. It's the oldest who is a girl who is having the most difficulty, however she is also the one who knows I have been unhappy for years. The other two are boys and are taking it very matter of fact.
        Do I regret waiting. No, cause obviously I did it when I was ready to do it. Do I feel guilt, remorse; yes. I do feel I have betrayed the family unit for my own happiness. However, having said that I know I was at the end of my rope and could no longer deal with the continuous burying my feelings. So it is better for me and in the end it will be better for everyone, if they choose it to be.
        Hows that for a first post. lol This is a difficult process, but I do believe that in the end it will be for the best. Attitude is everything.
        And I know I intend on making the best of this, cause if it isn't, imagine putting my family through this and then not being happier!
        One thing I like about your post is the simple fact that you did not blame your unhappiness and choices on your ex. Great attitude.

Comment

I think a lot of divorcing people deal with feelings of failure and/or guilt because they didn't provide the picture perfect home environment for their children to grow up in.

The funny thing is that if I look back on my own life, the things that made me into the person that I truly am are the hardships that I've overcome through my life. In fact, some of the best and happiest people I've ever met in my life had extremely difficult childhoods. Children who never have to deal with anything...never learn coping mechanisms..or learn to overcome difficulties and challenges.

There is a wealth of benefit that can come out of a divorce for children. I've noticed that the time that my children spend with each parents may be overall reduced, however, its more focused, one-on-one time.

I'm so thankful for my divorce...for myself...for my children. It has its difficult moments but is also an empowering life decision for me. I'm soooo glad I did it. My only regret is that I wasn't mature enough when I married to realize that my ex was simply the wrong person for me and vice versa.

Comment

PH: so well said. Thanks for that. That was damn near poetic Lady

Comment

Originally posted by hadenough View Post
              PH: so well said. Thanks for that. That was damn near poetic Lady
              I agree 100%... you hit the nail on the head...

It is amazing how well children adapt when presented with the correct environment... as much as we would love for our relationships to last forever, sometimes that is not the case.

From my own experience, I dated a guy for 6 years, certainly not as long as some people have been together, but from public school, right through high school and then some... things were honestly great between us... until I went to college...maybe it was the distance, maybe it was he grew jealous, whatever it was, we ended up splitting... our picture, perfect relationship ended...unfortunately he did quickly flip from that wonderful guy into a maniac that many are forced to tango with after a break down... however, when the relationship was done and over with and the fire had cooled, I had the best time in my life... it most likely wasn't what most thought a college student would do...

I got up every morning, attended school 8-6pm Monday-Friday, went home ate dinner, did home work and walked my dog, wash and repeat... but it allowed me to grow and learn about the real me... do I regret the 6 years I spent with him? Not at all, he taught me a lot about myself, and because of him I over came the hurdles I was faced with. To this day I appreciate what we had, but knew it was time to move on. Amazingly enough, after a year and a half of not speaking to each other, I ended up as his boss after college.... we are now closer friends then we were when we were together...

I hope someday that everyone can find some sort of peace with their decision to end a relationship. Whatever the reasons for the break down, one cannot dwell on the past... simply pick yourself and move forward...the past is in the past, it made us who we are today, no sense on trying to change what happened or think about the "what ifs"

Comment

I would like our children to make their own mistakes (as we have ours).

I do not want them repeating history because they think a terrible marriage is 'normal'.

Comment

No guilt, no regrets: because i am sure...because i am clear...because i have valid reasons for leaving. Beyond the sadness and the trepidation and the challenges of pulling this through as amicably as possible with my stbx, while continuing to demonstrate unfettered love for my kids, I continue to be amazed at my overwhelming sense of excitement over ``getting to that `zen``, which i sense, is within my reach...

A leap of faith...but worth the risk...

Comment

For a few years I felt afraid to leave. The "unknown" - the financial impact etc. It then shifted to the fear of STAYING being greater. Once that "shift" took place - there was no looking back. Had it not been for fear (of leaving) - I'd have been gone long ago. Definitely, it was worth taking that leap into the unknown; for me, and my child. There's no way I'd ever get stuck in a dysfunctional relationship again. Lesson learned

Comment

Maturity is a good thing. I too PH realize that I married the wrong person. I know that and kind of new that then, but in the naivety of my youth I though Love would conquer all.

Comment

Thank you hadenough and Berner.

Maymay...to this:
                        I do not want them repeating history because they think a terrible marriage is 'normal'.
                        I'm not sure what "normal" is in marriage. Unfortunately normal seems to be two people who are not fully matured and without enough life perspective going into a cripplingly legally binding union having unreasonable expectations of the other person.

Then...add some kids.

Then try to get a divorce and you realize what you actually got yourself into.

Cynical, I know...

However, I truly do believe in love and commitment. I just don't think its something I had a chance at achieving success at in my 20's. I'm hoping my kids take a longgggg time to get married.

Comment

Thanks Billm, do believe in attitude being just about the most important thing. Here's a quote I read often and pass on as much as I can.

The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, the education, the money, than circumstances, than failure, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes.”
                          Charles R. Swindoll quote
                          Not always easy to live up to, but so true

Comment

I feel both guilt and regret. I broke up with my ex because he didn't care about anything but himself. He was just a lump on the couch basically with his drinking buddies and smoking pot.
                            It was only after leaving him that I researched the effects of a broken home. The effects of children moving from home to home and never having a secure base. I feel guilty that I didn't try and stick it out longer to see if things would change.
                            I keep thinking, maybe the stress of a newborn would have subsided and we could have made it work.
                            I grew up living with both parents. I had and still have a great relationship with them and always felt comfortable and secure. I had a routine and it made me excel in sports etc. I didn't have to worry about switching routines all the time. I still don't know what effects a broken home really has on a child..but I am pretty sure it does take a toll one way or another.
                            Mind you, subjecting a child to an unhealthy relationship could be far worse.

Comment

Jane - as a child of a "broken home" I am of half a mind to call BS on most of those "studies"!!! I joke today that the second best thing my parents did was to divorce!! ((The first being having me of course! LOL!)) My sister and I were not shuffled off to one home or another. While my mom moved often, my dad is still in the same house he was 30 years ago.... Home is where the heart is, not the brick and mortar house you live in! Even when we moved with our mom, it still felt like home. Spending EOW with our dad, still felt secure and solid. I learned different things from each parent's home that I feel I would have missed out on had they stayed together for the sake of the children!!

In my own experience, and in talking with friends with divorced parents, I feel it is FAR more damaging to the children to stay in a relationship that is unhealthy for those involved. Kids aren't stupid! They may not see or hear the fighting or arguments, but they don't see the kindness and love either!! My dad and stepmom have been married over 25 years now, and are still in love. They hug and kiss and joke with one another - still! Sickening, I know! LOL! But as a kid growing up seeing this, I learned this is the model of a relationship that is healthy.

In my own marriage, I too knew it was a mistake from the start, and I also naively thought "Love" would conquer all.... It didn't.... 10 years married (13 years together) and we just grew to be different people. Who we became today were obviously not as compatible as the people we used to be. We had different dreams and goals, and very little common ground anymore. Lord knows we tried to make it work. But at the end of the day admitted defeat. I would not want my children growing up in a home that is not full of love and laughter between all who live there. I don't want them to think that to "just settle" is good enough. I wish for them to find a partner who treats them as just that - a partner, with love and respect.

My one year anniversary of my separation is just shy of three weeks away (Apr 29). Not once have I felt a moment of regret or an ounce of guilt over my decision to leave. My kids have two solid homes, with two parents who would go to the end of the world and back again for them. They see their mom and dad happy and living Life. And my daughters see their mom modelling the strength and confidence in myself that I wish for them to gain as well!!

Comment

Originally posted by cbarker78 View Post
                                In my own experience, and in talking with friends with divorced parents, I feel it is FAR more damaging to the children to stay in a relationship that is unhealthy for those involved. Kids aren't stupid! They may not see or hear the fighting or arguments, but they don't see the kindness and love either!!
                                Cbarker, you are right on this point... just a few weeks ago, I had the bf's kids at home, while he was working late, at the dinner table his S6 said to me...

"You know...at first I was sad when Daddy said he was moving out... but now I am really happy because Daddy is a lot happier then when he lived with mommy and us. Mommy is still not happy, but maybe someday she will find a new friend to be happy with." He then went on to say that if Daddy hadn't of moved out, they never would have known me.

That was very touching, and a clear example of when a marriage doesn't work, the kids do notice... there are no hostility between him and his ex, it was actually her that decided he could not come home (he was working out of town). But to hear those words come from a six year old, is clear to me that they notice and pick up on a lot of things.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X