This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• work benfits

Say my Mom moved into a seperate entrance basement aprtment in my home.

Could I include her on my work benefits?

Of course, every plan is different - but generally speaking, would that be kosher?

Seriously?

You would need to find out from your insurance provider if they are kosher but I have never heard of such a thing.

Comment

You find the idea absurd? Please explain.

She is my Mom and is family therefore. I would think perhaps it is possible, but am not sure - which is why I ask.

Comment

hmm I think when they say family they mean spouse and or kids. Not parents, aunts uncles and cousins.

Comment

I'm pretty sure not, but best solution would be to ask insurance provider yourself. I know people who have tried and were not successful.

Comment

Originally posted by wretchedotis View Post
            You find the idea absurd? Please explain.

She is my Mom and is family therefore. I would think perhaps it is possible, but am not sure - which is why I ask.
            Yes, I do find the idea absurd. Where do you want the buck to stop with claims for insurance? If such a notion were to be entertained, health care benefits would be unaffordable for most.

Need another explanation? Why should you not then be able to continue on her insurance (if she had any) after you have become an adult. Based on your logic, you should because you are her SON. You are family. See where I am going with this?

To the best of my knowledge, the only persons allowed are spouses and children. And with insurance companies trying for find cost cutting measures, I bet you quite soon there will no longer be eligibility for spouses to co mingle insurances (be paid from two different policies) and common law will be iffy too.

Comment

wow. i didn't expect suxh a reaction. It seeems to be a reasobale train of thought in my opinion..

Comment

i need a new key board

Comment

Otis,

It is a very thoughtful gesture towards your mother.

Most benefit/insurance plans in Canada deem 'eligible dependents' as a spouse (up to age 70) and children up to a certain age (usually 25).

The only way to be sure of this is to contact your benefits coordinator at your employment office or review your benefits package and see how they define 'eligible dependents'.

If your mom is over 65 years of age - she should be aware that she would qualify for the seniors drug card with her pharmacy. She should also look further into the Trillium benefits if she has no other insurance plan and is under the age of 65.

for age 65 and over look here:

Ontario Seniors? Secretariat - Health and Wellness Ontario Drug Benefit Program

for under 65 look here:

Trillium Drug Program - Public Information - MOHLTC
                  Last edited by OhMy; 04-07-2013, 08:55 PM.

Comment

I believe if your mother was a dependent adult she could be on your benefit plan. Not a bad idea to check it out and see if she qualifies.

Same goes for income tax. If you support her, can prove it, then you can claim her.

Read up on CRA about dependent adult.
                    Last edited by arabian; 04-08-2013, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X