No announcement yet.

Sample Separation Agreement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in an increasingly messy divorce, one case conference (waste of time as usual) under our belt after 2 years. Overpaying SS, paying full table CS in spite of shared custody. Leaving that aside...

Want to try to minimize legal costs before I'm bankrupt so attempting to come up with a separation agreement/offer to settle. I'm relatively literate so think I could hammer out the basics but not sure where to start as far as format and content.

Some great ideas in this thread but it's the formatting and basics that I'm a little short on, even after a fair bit of googling.

Not naive enough to think it wise to do it sans lawyers entirely but would like to hammer out the basics of an offer/agreement on my own to save costs from the high-priced "help". To date anything the lawyers have drafted I've vetted prior to filing, and without fail end up correcting substantially (everything from spelling, grammar...to critical financial errors). Not going to pay for that sort of "help" from the outset this time..

Anyone have pinpoint location of some samples or ideas on where to start?

Comment

Comment about calculating CS

My spouse and I wrote our own seperation agreement 2 years ago and it has worked well. However I think it has because we continue to have a good relationship and are reasonable.

On to my comment.

In the sample provided it says "The payment amounts will be based off Line 150 of the parties respective Notice of Assessments", however if you read through the Child Support guidelines provided by the Federal government, there is a worksheet you use to determine the amount to use for payments.

For most people line 150 probably works, but there are some cases line 150 needs to be adjusted. In my agreement we have actually said CS payment amounts are based on earnings as determined by the Child Support Guidelines.

Something to consider if it applies to you or may in the future.

Comment

Would love to have a look at it please...

Comment

Originally posted by oink View Post
          Resurrecting this....

For those that have a lawyer drafted one (personal info removed) that they are willing to share, perhaps you can dump it here for those that might find it useful?

I second that!

Comment

I would be happy to provide a sample I have drafted by a lawyer but don't know how. If I type it in here, the document has several legal size pages, will take me long time. By the time I am done, system logs me out and I will need to start all over again.

Any suggestions?

Comment

Could you scan it into a .pdf file. Then upload it?

Comment

Originally posted by Travis Lee View Post
                Could you scan it into a .pdf file. Then upload it?
                I can try from home tonight. Not respoisible for the results though

Comment

Whatever you end up with, make it a .zip file. The message board software is happier with that.

If you have trouble, pm me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mess View Post
                    Whatever you end up with, make it a .zip file. The message board software is happier with that.

If you have trouble, pm me.
                    Ok Mess, I have it in .pdf. Now what? Instructions for a blond user please and thank you.

Comment

Will give this a try and see if it works.

Comment

Nothing attached

Comment

Its saying the zip file is 97.8 kb....to big of a file to upload. Great!
                          Give me a sec...will try something else.

Comment

Sorry...its saying the file is 828 kb....way over the amount. Will see if I can reduce this.

Comment

I tried it man, lol... Why do you think I am asking you to help?

Comment

Well, you know what, just forget about this whole thing. If it doesn't wark, it doesnt mean to be posted here.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X