Is this considered abandonment ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this considered abandonment ?

Not trying to be a difficult parent but how do you handle it when your former spouse texts " my vacation flight doesn't get in until midnight so you will just have to keep the kids another night " and then they leave before you even get a chance to respond ?

This is not the first time this has happened either . We have 50/50 custody .

I love having the kids and would keep them 100 % of the time if possible but each of us has a responsibility to pick up the kids at the designated time and if not then we need to make arrangements in advance. I was not even given the chance to say that I had plans and could not keep them an extra night .

If I brought this up in court, would it even matter ?

Thoughts ?

This wouldn't be considered abandonment, in any way. Depending on how often it happens that the other parent isn't available during their parenting time, it may be appropriate to seek a change in the schedule.

There would need to be a regular pattern of this happening in order to support a change.

If you're looking for a judge to somehow enforce the other parent taking the kids on their scheduled time, it won't happen. You can't force someone to parent.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X