No announcement yet.

Divorce reopened after 10 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope the Alberta Court doesnt believe him and no order is given but he has a lawyer and i dont. I am in halifax and will apply to switch jurisdiction back to Nova Scotia.

Would love to know why i have been working towards self sufficiency when he can come back and ask for spousal support when i am almost there.

He is the one that is choosing to work contracts instead of getting stable employment.

Comment

Where were you married?

The thing is that you have an advantage in that you have forewarning about his plans. I did not. Once you receive a Notice of Motion and court date you can head him off by responding so that your position is heard at the hearing in Alberta. He will be required to attend and go before a judge. If judge does not have a response from you then it will start in the interjurisdictional process. If you have a compelling/rational response the judge in Alberta may toss it out right there. In one of my many go-rounds with my ex, when I did know what he was up to, I managed to arrange to be present in the courtroom via telephone. (That was a tad nerve wracking I will admit...one has to listen very, very carefully and only speak when judge asks you to speak... you are on speakerphone in courtroom).

You never answered my question in another thread. Have you ever or are you now receiving SS from your ex?

You mention you are bankrupt. Keep in mind that for first time bankrupts you can be out of bankruptcy in as little as 9 months. Your new "debt-free" status may support your ex's position that you can afford SS, although that is only one factor in determining SS.

Alberta Courts, like other courts across the country, are busy. They likely will grant him a provisional order and send it to your province. Judge don't care. It's just paperwork to them.

Comment

I have received ss from him in the past. Last one was March 2018. We were married in Halifax in 1989. Divorced in 2011. Separated in 2010.

If he gets a provisional order with this defamatory vexatious and abusive application i am taking myself out.

Comment

I am in Consumer Proposal. The lawyer in Alberta wants to change jurisdiction to a place i never lived or can get too. I make too much for legal aid not enough for a lawyer so right now i think i am going to have to pay him while he makes up outlandish stories.

If even a provisional order is given with me having to pay him it is too much stress so i will likely take myself out.

Comment

paying him would be foolish
            Lawyer can want all they want but they have to follow procedures.
            provisional order is just that - provisional until your jurisdictional judge agrees.

You got sucked into a "consumer proposal" (which I am totally against as your credit is fucked anyhow and there is absolutely no benefit to) so it wouldn't surprise me that you get sucked into paying your ex. I guess you just like the easy way out of things.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Happyatlantic View Post
              I am in Consumer Proposal. The lawyer in Alberta wants to change jurisdiction to a place i never lived or can get too. I make too much for legal aid not enough for a lawyer so right now i think i am going to have to pay him while he makes up outlandish stories.

If even a provisional order is given with me having to pay him it is too much stress so i will likely take myself out.
              you are getting way ahead of yourself. I know it is stressful but nothing has really happened yet. You really should talk to a therapist about handling stress and coping things you can try to get you through this.

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
                you are getting way ahead of yourself. I know it is stressful but nothing has really happened yet. You really should talk to a therapist about handling stress and coping things you can try to get you through this.

I already have talked to a counsellor. I don't think I have a chance. He has a lawyer. I do not. His lawyer is likely going to change jurisdiction to a place I can't get to. I have no money for a lawyer.

I have no doubt he will win and I am barely making ends meet. Men always win in my opinion and can do whatever they want.

Comment

Originally posted by Happyatlantic View Post
                  I already have talked to a counsellor. I don't think I have a chance. He has a lawyer. I do not. His lawyer is likely going to change jurisdiction to a place I can't get to. I have no money for a lawyer.

I have no doubt he will win and I am barely making ends meet. Men always win in my opinion and can do whatever they want.
                  there are people on here who have won against lawyers. There are also people on here who have lost even though they had a lawyer. Lawyers work for the client.

You are not in a good financial position so hard to get blood from a stone.

As for the jurisdiction issue, Arabian has already given you a few pointers on that and she knows her stuff.

I know its hard but you need to lose the feeling that you are already defeated when nothing has really happened just some paper shuffling. You need to be thinking of strategy and steps to take. Get your game plan figured out.

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
                    there are people on here who have won against lawyers. There are also people on here who have lost even though they had a lawyer. Lawyers work for the client.

You are not in a good financial position so hard to get blood from a stone.

As for the jurisdiction issue, Arabian has already given you a few pointers on that and she knows her stuff.

I know its hard but you need to lose the feeling that you are already defeated when nothing has really happened just some paper shuffling. You need to be thinking of strategy and steps to take. Get your game plan figured out.

Thank you. I do appreciate everyone's opinion even if it doesn't seem that way.

Here is what I did so far, I have faxed the Court of Queen's Bench saying I do not accept their jurisdiction. Don't know what my chances are.

I will be filing in the Court here in Halifax contesting the Alberta court's jurisdiction.

May I have a further opinion?

Lawyers scare the crap out of me.

Comment

Here's a dumb question. Can you just call up this lawyer and tell her you are in bankruptcy and stop barking up your tree? If she knows there is no moneyfor you to pay out maybe she can stop this harassment.

Comment

Already did and sent her the bankruptcy information

Comment

Oops consumer proposal.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
                            paying him would be foolish
                            Lawyer can want all they want but they have to follow procedures.
                            provisional order is just that - provisional until your jurisdictional judge agrees.

You got sucked into a "consumer proposal" (which I am totally against as your credit is fucked anyhow and there is absolutely no benefit to) so it wouldn't surprise me that you get sucked into paying your ex. I guess you just like the easy way out of things.

Good luck.
                            Thanks Arabian for giving me a reality check. What would be your opinion of this? Applying at the Nova Scotia Supreme Court (Family Division) printing and responding to his vexatious application he submitted in Calgary through email.

In my response, I say that the spousal support is considered paid up to date and that neither one of us can file claims against the another. In other words, move on.

I apologize for my outburst.

Comment

the whole thing on divorce and family issues and commom law relationships in this country is in need of overhaul

how can i be married and legally separated and single all at same time and i have never been divorced or having any papers showing legal separation lol

overhaul this broken system
                              i am retired now with my pensions

i have done no cpp credit splits or pension splits on company pension i never got child support either

i made it i am fully retired

what a mess of the system

Comment

If he is going back 10 years, does he not have to provide his pay stubs and income tax returns. He provided his assessments which his income was estimated. Is the Court going to see through this?

I am getting depressed over this.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X