This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child Support and Gross Income Question

Do mandatory pension contributions have to be considered when determining gross income for Child Support?

i.e. Can I deduct my pension contributions from pay before going to the Child Support table?

Does the fact that I paid ex out of my pension as part of property settlement have an impact on this? (I suspect not because property settlement is independant of child suport).

Anyone?
    Buehler?

From what I've read, it doesn't seem like the courts take that out of the equation even though it is part of the mandatory payroll deductions. Maybe call the child support office and see what they say.

Comment

Gross Income is based on Line 150 of your income tax return, so I would say no - you have to count that as income.

Comment

Read the law please

The Divorce Act recognizes that there are special circumstances when the amount in the guidelines may not be appropriate.
        For example, if the paying parent transferred the family home, without being compensated, to the other parent so the children would not have to move, the amount in the guidelines may not be fair. Both parents would have to agree that this is the case or a court would have to rule on the matter.

Remember "shoulds" or "woulds" will get you in trouble in matters of family law.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X