This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ontario Court of Justice v. Superior Court

What are the advantages and disadvantages of utilizing one court over the other?

I am aware that the major jurisdictional feature is child protection is heard in Ontario court and issues with property are heard in Superior court

Thanks

The Provincial Divisions deal only with: Custody, Access and Support. With Superior Court: there are filing fees, and a much broader scope of matters that also include the above-mentioned. Divorce, equalization, property assessments etc. That is a brief explanation of the main difference between the two. I was also told that provincial family court rulings are not posted on CanLii but Superior Court decisions are.

Comment

I am answering this out of my very limited experience to date.

If you are married use the Superior Court. My ex was the applicant so I was forced through the OCJ and a lot of my concerns were just not dealt with because they were in the jurisdiction of the SC. So I have to go to Superior Court anyways. She chose OCJ to save on fees.

If you are self-representing yourself the problem is that Superior Court seems to demand a lot more paper work. That is what I digging through now. Joy!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X