X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice/help on Common Law Separation

Hello,

My spouse and I have been living together in the same house (which is in both of our names) for the past 3 years. We are in New Brunswick. We previously lived in an apartment for 3.5 years. We have decided to separate and I am wondering a few things.

We want to handle the separation as smoothly as we can. We have come to a verbal agreement for me to buy her out of the house and to split of the furniture. Is there a way to do this legally without having to get lawyers involved? I am afraid once the lawyers get involved it will get ugly and be worse for both of us both financially and emotionally.

Also my understanding is that in regards to say personal savings and RRSP's, what is mine is mine and what is hers is hers? We both work full-time jobs and make roughly about the same salary.

Any help anyone can provide in this would be greatly appeciated.

Thanks,

Ant

No advice out there?

Comment

Originally posted by Antonio33
      Hello,

My spouse and I have been living together in the same house (which is in both of our names) for the past 3 years. We are in New Brunswick. We previously lived in an apartment for 3.5 years. We have decided to separate and I am wondering a few things.

We want to handle the separation as smoothly as we can. We have come to a verbal agreement for me to buy her out of the house and to split of the furniture. Is there a way to do this legally without having to get lawyers involved? I am afraid once the lawyers get involved it will get ugly and be worse for both of us both financially and emotionally.

Also my understanding is that in regards to say personal savings and RRSP's, what is mine is mine and what is hers is hers? We both work full-time jobs and make roughly about the same salary.
      As far as the RRSP's go, if they are in your name they are yours, no one can claim against them unless the other person can prove they contributed.

Lawyers need not be involved as long as you can come to an agreement and it is reasonable. Both sign and have it noterized as true etc. I had a friend get a divorce and buy out her husband's share of the house without much legal intervention. They had a lawyer draw up the paper work to ensure it was legal. They went their seperate ways. She now has the home for sale, and as far as I know no other legal intervention was needed as they both agreed to the terms of the seperation/divorce etc

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X