Court predictions please???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court predictions please???

My girlfriend is stressed to the max. She goes to court tomorrow.

Her ex is a rig consultant and worked all of 2018, likely made close to $300k.

He has been paying her $1400 per month since they split in July (2 kids aged 3 and 5)

First court date was set for March 11, but he conveniently delayed it until tomorrow.

He hasn't worked since Feb 15th, which is kind of the nature of the beast in the oil sector.

Any thoughts on what the judge will do? Obviously since he makes about $1100/day the $1400/month doesn't meet table values, but will the fact that he isn't work as of TODAY get him off the hook for that?

Thanks for any replies in advance.

The first step is to request full financial disclosure. (hopefully your friend has already done this and received, or is waiting, information). Without financial disclosure this will likely go nowhere except for an interim interim Order for support. Tell your friend not to be surprised if things are delayed a few more times.

Judges are well-aware of fluctuations in income for people working in oil industry. Judges are also aware that the "good old days" are behind us now and judge will be looking for documentation. Speculation and "estimates" just don't cut it I'm afraid.

Comment

I hope Justice is served.
      That’s all I’m hoping for!

Comment

At the very least, your girlfriend should organize her finances so that she can subsist on the $1400 CS payment or possibly a very minimal CS payment much less than $1400. There is no guarantee that her ex will ever get back up to $300k.

It is hard to predict what will happen here. Much depends on what the ex has been doing since February 15th. If he has been diligently looking for jobs (and has documentation to show it) and has been unsuccessful, then even the $1400 might be excessive. Alternatively, if he has been hanging around playing Fortnite, then a judge might impute a high income to encourage the ex to be more proactive in his searching for employment.

Comment

Originally posted by Acadia71 View Post
          I hope Justice is served.
          That’s all I’m hoping for!
          If he truly cannot get a job, then justice would be no child support.

Right?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X