This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax CCTB UCCB Line 305 Line 367

Is the following correct for a shared physical custody situation with two children:

CCTB: Automatically split up by CRA
    UCCB: Automatically split up by CRA

Line 305 (eligible dependent): Not allowed if paying support. If both paying support, parties can agree who will get it. Separation agreement should state who is getting it in which year.

Line 367 (children born 1994 or later): Parents can agree that one will claim one kid and other parent will claim the other. When only one kid is under 18, parents can agree to alternate years.

Originally posted by Janus View Post
    Is the following correct for a shared physical custody situation with two children:

CCTB: Automatically split up by CRA
    UCCB: Automatically split up by CRA

Line 305 (eligible dependent): Not allowed if paying support. If both paying support, parties can agree who will get it. Separation agreement should state who is getting it in which year.

Line 367 (children born 1994 or later): Parents can agree that one will claim one kid and other parent will claim the other. When only one kid is under 18, parents can agree to alternate years.
    I just talked to the CRA on this yesterday, yes this is true. Although, I don't think it has to specifically state who gets it each year. The agreement is supposed to say both parties pay each other cs.

Now I would call the CRA to confirm this, you may get different answers depending on who answers the phone...

Comment

That's the problem, I called CRA, and the answers I got conflicted completely with the CRA website and with what I have read on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
        That's the problem, I called CRA, and the answers I got conflicted completely with the CRA website and with what I have read on this forum.
        When I called they told me what you wrote. The CRA is very frustrating.

Are currently making the claims?

Basically, if you both don't agree, then neither of you will be able to claim it.

Comment

Forgive my stupidity, but if there are two kids and you've agreed to each claim one, do you only list "1" instead of "2" on line 366, and schedule 5 (which is filled out for line 305), is the one that identifies the child? And if line 367 says 2 children then you are disqualified for both 305 and 367 ?

Comment

When you are speaking with CRA you have your computer on and you have the page open with the information about eligable dependent. If you do not hear information that matches what you read, you quote the webpage to them and ask them what it means. If you don't get a clear answer, ask for their name and ask to speak with their supervisor.

Now I See The Moon, I don't have my tax return handy, but you should only claim one child as eligable dependent, even if you have many. You can, as I understand it, only claim one, and claiming multiple doesn't yield any additional deductions.

Comment

Thank you Mess. I was hoping someone here would know the answer off the top of their head. I've been waiting for the H&R block woman to call me back, but she didn't, today. And CRA is now closed for the weekend.

I just don't understand how you tell CRA you are claiming only 1 on line 305 (eligible dependent) when all you can claim is the 10K--there's no option to claim 2x 10K or 3x10K. So I'm left with the conclusion that 305 is connected to 367/366 and it's on 367/366 that you write down 1 child and not more (noting that 367 is not actually the eligible dependent deduction)? There is no "note" relating to line 366 in the tax guide nor on their website to tell you that's where you put down 1 or 3 or whatever kids. And I know this won't make sense if you don't know if off the top of your head.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X