From Joint to Sole?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rioe View Post
    CS is the right of the children. It's not a bargaining chip or something you should give up because you feel bad for him or something. Especially if you have trouble getting his share of section 7 expenses out of him. If you can't get the one, at least get the other.

However, how much money would it be, offset? If it's piddly, then it isn't worth arguing for.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that we don't find you all virtuous for refusing CS that is your children's right.
    I'm not really looking to appear virtuous or anything else. I am just trying to show that I'd like him to contribute to what he should.

Going for what I'm entitled to is VERY worth it. I'm not asking for anything that isnt a given am I? I only want to ask him for what would be given, without question.
    I'm not suggesting I want him to pay CS & Soccer etc. One would be nice!

Comment

mediation would have to come from a judge, not you. The judge would order that you both have to come to an agreement and if you can't, then you both must go to mediation before returning to court. If he refused to go to mediation, then you would get costs from court. Eventually he will learn to go to mediation, and the mediator will help decide what you both should do.

As long as your most recent job is at or above full time minimum wage, then that is what it should be.

The $150 cs would help your kids out a lot and help provide for all the stuff they want to do.

Hockey would most likely be the only s.7 activity for you, but it would depend on both your incomes.

You ex could still not agree to it, but that would depend on his income and whether he could realistically afford it. If it is unreasonable for him, then he will be forced to pay. If he is not well off and can't afford it, then your son may be out of luck and just do the other activities.

Comment

Makes sense. Thanks Happy!
        Personally, I can't see him letting this go to court, but who knows.

Lets say this is the scenario:
        Moms past income was $31,000. Dads was $41,600
        Mom wants off set CS, 50% health premium, & 50% Hockey fees when he moves to rep.
        Also wants commitment to pay 1/3 post secondary after bursaries etc.
        50% of out of pocket dental.
        Mom takes care of activities, class trips under $150,
        Does anyone see issues with something like this?

Comment

Originally posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post
          My custody agreement is worded in a way that ensures this won't happen. We have joint custody but in the event of a dispute or non-response (which is what I was dealing with), I have final decision making power.

In addition, if there is a dispute on a minor issue...it becomes a major (joint-custody) decision and the same rules apply.

I still try to run everything past my ex and sometimes we agree but if he doesn't agree, he was just not answering...which was causing problems. So we reached that agreement in our partial settlement which has been working out well.

It wouldn't be as harsh as you requesting sole custody and might help with some of the disputes...of course, you ex would have to agree with you having final decision making power instead of going to mediation.
          Thank you! I WOULD like to talk to the lawyer about this.

Comment

Originally posted by kingstonmomof2 View Post
            Mom wants off set CS, 50% health premium, & 50% Hockey fees when he moves to rep.
            What is the "health premium". Is this just not your benefits coverage available through your work? Are you looking for half the cost of the "health coverage" through your employer's benefits?

Do you pay for this coverage, or... do you receive this as a taxable benefit (ex. flex credits), and then you use those to pay for your coverage? Is this coverage only for the child, or does it include you as well (or family coverage, or you + 1 coverage).

Comment

[QUOTE=dad2bandm;138787]What is the "health premium". Is this just not your benefits coverage available through your work? Are you looking for half the cost of the "health coverage" through your employer's benefits?

Do you pay for this coverage, or... do you receive this as a taxable benefit (ex. flex credits), and then you use those to pay for your coverage? Is this coverage only for the child, or does it include you as well (or family coverage, or you + 1 coverage).[/QUOT

My Sig other pays for benifits. Kids and I are on his plan. We worked out just me + then adding the KIDS so we would know the difference.
              I wouldnt be asking him if it wasn't an out of pocket expense.
              I've kept the receipts from last two visits at detist for the kids.

We've even given him a benefit card incase he ever has to get a prescription for the KIDS so he doesn't have to pay.

To have the KIDS on the plan costs $400/yr. I've asked him for 50% of that for two years.
              Last edited by kingstonmomof2; 06-05-2013, 02:57 PM. Reason: to add info

Comment

Originally posted by kingstonmomof2 View Post
                Makes sense. Thanks Happy!
                Personally, I can't see him letting this go to court, but who knows.

Lets say this is the scenario:
                Moms past income was $31,000. Dads was $41,600
                Also wants commitment to pay 1/3 post secondary after bursaries etc.
                50% of out of pocket dental.
                Mom takes care of activities, class trips under $150,
                Does anyone see issues with something like this?
                It shouldn't be an issue... it's just want the law states. Off set cs should be paid.

Post Secondary is automatically 1/3 as well... but again it would depend on his income and whether he could realistically afford it. He would have to be seriously struggling to get away from it.

Does you ex get health coverage from his work? What's not covered by your insurance, would be s.7 and split according to incomes. 50/50 is better for him, but you could simply say according to incomes.

All regular activities, school trips/fees would be paid for by you, through the cs you receive. You can push for rep hockey, but he doesn't have to agree if he can't afford it. If he can, and your kid was doing hockey when you were together, then there is no reason he should say no now.

Comment

Hey Happy,
                  Yes, our son has played hockey since he's been old enough, and ex doesn't miss a game. (which is good) Son is VERY passionate about hockey + is VERY talented.
                  (not bragging here just trying to convey how things are) Coaches + parents are going to be surprised to see us back for House League in September.

Ex has zero benefits. From what I know, he has no extraordinary debt.
                  College/University is something he could start planning for now. He's not great at budgets. I know as I was with him for 14 yrs.

As for everything else, I am pretty sure I'm just asking for what's right.

Comment

Originally posted by HappyDays View Post
                    ...What's not covered by your insurance, would be s.7 and split according to incomes. 50/50 is better for him, but you could simply say according to incomes.
                    But only in this regard;

(c) health-related expenses that exceed insurance reimbursement by at least $100 annually, including orthodontic treatment, professional counselling provided by a psychologist, social worker, psychiatrist or any other person, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, prescription drugs, hearing aids, glasses and contact lenses;

Comment

Originally posted by dad2bandm View Post
                      But only in this regard;

(c) health-related expenses that exceed insurance reimbursement by at least $100 annually, including orthodontic treatment, professional counselling provided by a psychologist, social worker, psychiatrist or any other person, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, prescription drugs, hearing aids, glasses and contact lenses;
                      Sounds fair!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X