Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 11:18 PM

beebie is on a distinguished road

I'm from Alberta. Has your lawyer filed any documents yet? There is interjurisdictional forms that are used.

Giving him a deadline yourself is hilarious.

If it is not a court hearing deadline, then he cannot be cited for contempt of court.

In Alberta, the debtor parent is required to file his financial disclosure in 30 days. Including all those tax years he just never got around to.

However since you took off with the kids "for support" you are now stuck with filing all this from Ontario which will take much much longer.

Ask your lawyer if he /she has filed the necessary forms to get things rolling.

They will impute income in Alberta but the threshold test is much harder than other provinces. Nevertheless, you get his employment title and look it up on Alberta WageInfo (or whatever it's called) if you don't know what his income is already.

Taking off with the kids was harsh.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:30 PM

MrToronto is on a distinguished road

heartless people...poor dads in Aberta .ex seems to just up and moved to Ontario to be with family....uhm...er...yeah rip the guys head off for money..that always makes things better...sheesh poor guy and I guess he loses his kids and his money...sad really
Old 08-22-2012, 11:38 PM

HBW is on a distinguished road

Beebie, how was taking off with the kids harsh? I was protecting them and myself from a very verbally and emotionally abusive person, who would get violent when he drank, and then would turn around and blame me for his behaviour.

Living with someone like that.... THAT was harsh!
Old 08-22-2012, 11:42 PM

raven70 is on a distinguished road
Default jurisdiction

i am going to be blunt here, sorry. i dont like what you did removing the
children from there father, you knew what he was all about and had a family with him.

i hope he gets a good lawyer and you lose jurisdiction arguement. you certainly will loose support quantums for what you did and any access costs.

i dont wish you any luck, your too selfish,

raven
Old 08-22-2012, 11:48 PM

MrToronto, you have have no clue about me and my situation! You have no idea about the abuse I endured over and over again, and having to lock myself with the kids in my room because I was so terrified at what he might do as he came home drunk. You have no idea that I was the educated one making good money, put a huge down payment on our house, and now I'm jobless and live on my parent's sofa. Shame on you MrToronto for making assumptions!
Old 08-22-2012, 11:52 PM

hadenough is on a distinguished road

Interesting... Doesn't sound like "dad" kicked up any fuss over the move to ON. How many of us would sit idly by? Why didn't he go to the police, and have an Amber Alert issued?? Just looking at all sides...
Old 08-22-2012, 11:56 PM

hadenough is on a distinguished road

Seek out the factual info you are hoping to find. Don't sweat the occasional harsh criticisms - Narrow your issues down, search this forum and access useful information that will help you to settle your matter.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:57 PM

Raven70. No, actually I didn't know all about who he was before we had a family. He was actually very sweet and kind in the beginning.... it wasn't later when he became abusive—even violent.

Me, Selfish? I don't care what anybody else thinks. I needed to do whatever it took to bring my kids to a safe place... and I needed help from caring people who loved me so I could heal.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:01 AM

beebie is on a distinguished road

I realize I took the post off topic with parenting issues; if drinking was an issue then fair enough...that was not in your original post. The problem you have is that the children are now in Ontario so you probably have to file from there (unless it has just been a short while since you arrived). I would advise making sure that the kids have contact with Father (if Father is okay over the phone and not drunk) and offering visits (supervised if necessary) to Father. He is a guardian too and could have obtained a court order to bring the children back to Alberta. You are entitled to argue that you need family support in Ontario if he is not paying CS but if he does pay, you will have to try to give him some access assuming he is sober. If not sober, then he has to go to rehab prior to obtaining access.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:02 AM

Thanks Hadenough. This is my first thread and has been an eye-opener!
Closed Thread

Tags
advice, court, deadline, narcissist, negotiate