Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think that marriage has anything to do with being angry and bitter - people can be mean to others even when they are not married - or never have been married - I guess the older I become the more cautious I am - but there is nothing wrong with caution!

Comment

I'm fine with having a long-term relationship again. I'm fine with living with someone again. I'm fine with committing to someone again. I'm not crazy about getting married again.

It just seems like much ado about nothing. I don't really see the point of the ceremony anymore. If a woman needs me to spend thousands of dollars on a lavish party to publically proclaim my love for her, I'd probably just get rid of her and take someone less superficial on a museum tour of Europe with the money instead.

As for kids, no way. I'll focus on the two I have now thankyouverymuch.

Comment

I agree completely About_Time!

Comment

lol...too funny..but given some of the threads regarding commonlaw breakups on this forum, I'm wondering if it even matters whether you're married or not. Commonlaw breakups seem to be just as much of a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post
            lol...too funny..but given some of the threads regarding commonlaw breakups on this forum, I'm wondering if it even matters whether you're married or not. Commonlaw breakups seem to be just as much of a mess.
            Exactly. Once you decide to co-habitate with someone you are still in for a potential mess if things go south. I think once I find the woman I want to spend my life with, I'll suggest adjoining apartments

Comment

I went through a terrible ugly and nasty divorce. I am still going through non-stop litigation almost a decade later.

I DID remarry and could not be happier. I do not fear divorce. I do not regret anything at all. At first I felt like many of you and was not interested in any sort of relationship never mind marriage but eventually I did heal and move on. Sometimes you have to go through terrible things to get the good. I try to see it that way.

I would love to have more children but it is not in the cards for us at all. I am ok with that, he loves my daughters and raises them as they are his own. They love him as a father.

I value the commitment of my marriage.

Comment

Originally posted by About_Time View Post
                Exactly. Once you decide to co-habitate with someone you are still in for a potential mess if things go south. I think once I find the woman I want to spend my life with, I'll suggest adjoining apartments
                To each their own. One could also engage in a cohabitation agreement to alleviate any insecurity, if need be ...

Comment

I'm not having any more kids, but nature made that decision for me! Still haven't decided on the re-marriage question. Might, but then again might not. Once bitten, twice shy. :-)

Comment

No marriage for me either

I am done with marriage as well. I still can't get out of my last marriage after 6 yrs of separation. haha
                    I have accepted this. I have been common law now for approx 4 1/2 yrs and find everything is smooth sailing. I'll stick to this for now

Comment

Commonlaw has advantages when it comes vital statistics. A spouse may take their spouses name after three years continuous cohabitation or birth of a child.

Comment

I can see myself getting down on one-knee and proposing: "would you like to move next door".

Comment

Originally posted by uwbrother View Post
                          I can see myself getting down on one-knee and proposing: "would you like to move next door".
                          Bright Horizons

Comment

... ... ... ...

Comment

Originally posted by uwbrother View Post
                              Haha! Yes! This is about as much as I'm willing to imagine right now. I live in a duplex and after my separation, the other neighbours moved out and I got a new neighbour, whom I heard was to be a single dad with two kids. Part of me started thinking that would be a convenient arrangement! Of course, reality turned out to be completely different, but oh well.

Comment

It can be very difficult to get over the bruises from past relationships and look for something new. I, myself, am guilty of being afraid to let anyone in and getting hurt. Sometimes you'll find someone when you weren't even looking and it can be amazing - if you let the opportunity knock. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes you can feel like a complete ass for opening the door to begin with if it doesn't. However, if you shelter yourself from the potential hurts and turn down every opportunity, you're bound to miss out on what could be some of the best experiences of your life, even if it's short-lived and you feel like an ass afterwards. Good things - even great things - often come to an end. Hang on to the good stuff, let go of the bad and learn to bounce. One can never truly appreciate the successes without a few failures along the way. <3

~still learning to bounce

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X