Intentionally Underemployed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intentionally Underemployed

Ex completed a university degree during the relationship, prior to the marriage. During the marriage, the Ex refused to work (claimed to be "too good" for entry-level jobs), then pursed more education, and tried to do freelance, but did not succeed. Separated for several years, during which time the Ex either didn't work or worked part-time. Claims that there are no job opportunities and that Covid is making it hard to find employment (has been unemployed for over a year). The regional unemployment rate is the same as in the rest of the province.

What is needed for me to substantiate that this person is intentionally underemployed?

Originally posted by enchantedowl View Post
    Ex completed a university degree during the relationship, prior to the marriage. During the marriage, the Ex refused to work (claimed to be "too good" for entry-level jobs), then pursed more education, and tried to do freelance, but did not succeed. Separated for several years, during which time the Ex either didn't work or worked part-time. Claims that there are no job opportunities and that Covid is making it hard to find employment (has been unemployed for over a year). The regional unemployment rate is the same as in the rest of the province.

What is needed for me to substantiate that this person is intentionally underemployed?
    I wonder if the fact that before and during marriage the ex didnt work or worked sporadically may be a factor in this. To me intentionally underemployed means they had a high paying job that they quit and took another job that they made less money at. In your case it seems like your ex never really had a meaningful full time job.

Comment

This case: https://www.canlii.org/en/on/onca/do...&resultIndex=1

Is the one my husbands judge said was the threshold.

Comment

Thanks for the info and the link to the canlii case, much appreciated.

Comment

In the case posted the respondent was employed (skilled labor) and decided to go back to school. Also the respondent appeared to have their wages held back to reduce their child support burden.

What if they were not working as in the OPs case?
          What if they decided to be an at home parent for a few years before separation?

Comment

It should be noted that the judge imputed the minimum wage for that year upon the respondent.

Comment

Linking onto this. My ex is 100% shareholder in a Corporation that made over $747,000 in 2019, he is a journeyman carpenter and decides how much he pays himself. Which is nothing from January to august most years. He has an apprentice who he pays an hourly wage of over $22... as per the union.

If I have job postings that show he should be paying himself at least 70-90000 a year, would this qualify as under employed? He has been paying himself less and less each year, 2017 30000 2018 11902 and no NOA for 2019 as of yet.

Thoughts? I am self represented but have all his general ledgers, shareholder accounts and most of his T2 and T1's.

Comment

See the case I posted above. You may also want to search canlii for income and shareholder key words. Have you spoken to a lawyer or even a forensic accountant to determine his annual income? Those questions may help as well.

While his corporation has gross “income” there may be other things he puts money into that reduces the amount or he may be investing in a longer term program for his retirement. Just because he has the money doesn’t mean you can dictate how much he should be paying himself. There could be limits on shareholder withdrawals.

Best too to look at what he was paying himself while you were married if the same employer was in place. That would be an indicator as well.

Comment

Thank you, we were married in 1998 and divorced in 2011. Much has changed since then - but we are still pretty much amicable, but not when it comes to the child support and his Incorporation.

I have filtered through CanLII which is a great resource, so thank you again for directing me with more words to search for.

While I have your knowledgeable eye, should I be citing these cases for my Case Meeting brief? Or save it for another time?

We are under the New Covid Family Protocol.. since we have been adjourned since March for a first appearance, we are directed by Section 40 to waive the first appearance before a clerk, to a initial case meeting with a Judge - just waiting to see what that will look like. Fun times!

Thank in advance for any feedback/direction/sheesh woman you're nuts.

Comment

Im not sure how cases are referenced for conferences but knowledge on his income would be helpful. This is where a forensic accountant could help or even just someone who specializes in income from a sole owner corporation. The problem you have is arguing he should be paying himself more. He could argue because he is a sole owner he has to protect his retirement. This isn’t simply a case of purposeful underemployment. He is sheltering his company income. That is corporate tax and law rather than just simple family law.

I definitely recommend you do some research on corporate ownership and income (or whatever the relevant terms are) and speak to an accountant and corporate lawyer if necessary. If it costs you $1000 to do that and you end up with an additional $1000 per year of support for your kids then it is worth it and you will have the knowledge for future years and other trouble he may start.

A lot of businesses incorporate for legal protection outside of family law.

Comment

I have the Corporation piece covered, the Income Tax Act as well, since I have his full ledger and shareholder, I know where the money is going, and where it is coming from - better then he does. I have lists of what personal debt the Corporation has paid for him (Taxes, VISAs, Mountain Bikes etc..)

My mom had her career in Revenue Canada, Small business and audits was her department - so I have a firm hold on that aspect. Money, recapture, Capital Costs, expenses - all taxable benefits he should have had returned to him as income that weren't, and what expenses are considered personal for the family court, and not for RCA.... got all that in spades with Income Tax Act references.

Just caught up with the Family Court procedures and such. Do I give details in the case brief, attached the documents as appendix to prove my points - which could be a thick document? Do I keep it short and sweet, and just say I would like his income imputed by the application of Section 18 (1) and Section 19 1(1,4,7,8) and keep the appendixes out - or do I give specific examples for each one? I think that is really what I am struggling with. I want to show his lawyer, he is done in spades so they will put forth an offer. ....

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X