No announcement yet.

Shared Access & Everyday Expenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm also in a shared custody situation and the way we manage these expenses is fairly basic. Anything that is shared at each household (big or small expenses) is placed on a shared spreadsheet that I created online. (Ex: excel, hotmail onedrive) I created 2 simple tables in the spreadsheet for each of us to capture ongoing kid related purchases and calculate a grand total that either I owe her or she owes me. Since I have a 70/30 percent split on these expenses, I tend to do the larger purchases (Ex: sporting activities) and she tends to owe me. Click Here to see an example of how the spreadsheet looks.

I think it has helped save a few arguments and we always agree to any large expenses prior to making the purchase. You can also exchange receipts (Ex: via email) which we did initially but we've been able to build some trust over these expenses now.

Hope this helps and if you have any further questions, let me know.

Comment

I don't understand the confusion. Ex pays support for one child (new as of yesterday) so I take care of ALL expenses for her.

We share expenses for our Son equally.

It's been difficult in the past to actually have those expenses shared in the past (for BOTH, but at least it's just one now)
      While it's easy to say bd ' s, haircuts, hot lunches, school trips, & omg the list goes on are just minor so just pay it, it adds up. (For me) we make relatively the same income so it SHOULD be shared.

Anyways I feel we've worked it out. Here's hoping anyways
      Sorry, I didn't understand that the arrangement above. My bad.

Comment

Originally posted by seekinghelp View Post
        I'm also in a shared custody situation and the way we manage these expenses is fairly basic. Anything that is shared at each household (big or small expenses) is placed on a shared spreadsheet that I created online. (Ex: excel, hotmail onedrive) I created 2 simple tables in the spreadsheet for each of us to capture ongoing kid related purchases and calculate a grand total that either I owe her or she owes me. Since I have a 70/30 percent split on these expenses, I tend to do the larger purchases (Ex: sporting activities) and she tends to owe me. Click Here to see an example of how the spreadsheet looks.

I think it has helped save a few arguments and we always agree to any large expenses prior to making the purchase. You can also exchange receipts (Ex: via email) which we did initially but we've been able to build some trust over these expenses now.

Hope this helps and if you have any further questions, let me know.
        Hi! Thanks for the link. That may be very helpful. I'm lucky that we don't really argue about expenses. It's just hard to keep track of and, personally, with shared acess and expenses it feels like a full time job sometimes lol.
        I will definitely suggest we try this

Comment

Originally posted by Serene View Post
          Sorry, I didn't understand that the arrangement above. My bad.
          All good Serene ☺
          Last edited by kingstonmomof2; 09-03-2014, 12:37 AM. Reason: to add smile

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X