No announcement yet.

Withholding Passport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen stuff that shouldn't happen indeed happen.

If you bring a motion, they typically respond. Its an open forum for each party to ask for what they want. It will be limited to what you put in your motion and to what they put in their response.

Tread lightly.

Comment

I was told to bring forth an urgent motion (typically heard on Mons and Thurs) and request them to allow me to travel without her consent. Your saying on a motion like that she can respond and have a free-for-all with whatever else she wants? That's insane!

Comment

Just GO ON THE TRIP. If it falls through THEN you definitely have good reason to pursue costs if you get stopped. And again, for the record, I have traveled an enormous amount of times with my own children, my step children and other people's children WITHOUT any biological parents in my vehicle and I've only been asked for a letter ONE time. The odds are in your favour!
        I travel across the border frequently with my child too and have never had any issue. However, just a caution...if she has or plans to call the border and flags him, he may get stopped. And I believe men tend to get stopped more than women on a normal basis. Its not fun to be stopped for a suspected abduction either...I know people its happened to.

It kind of stresses out your trip when you're worried about it too. I'd get this done through a motion if you can't get it done through a letter before you take any trips.

Comment

So ridiculous for a 1 or 2 day trip. Insane!

Comment

So ridiculous for a 1 or 2 day trip. Insane!
            Its also for any future trips you take too. And it sets a precedence with her that you will take action if she does this kind of stuff.

I may have the same problem as you and will be dealing with it as previously mentioned if necessary. I'm trying to arrange a passport for some trips next year also. It not fun to go to court for something that should be simple and routine but unfortunately its sometimes necessary.

Comment

Nope, unwilling to do that for 1 day but the next major holiday I definitely would if she was uncooperative.

Comment

Originally posted by Serene View Post
                I've seen stuff that shouldn't happen indeed happen.

If you bring a motion, they typically respond. Its an open forum for each party to ask for what they want. It will be limited to what you put in your motion and to what they put in their response.

Tread lightly.
                Serene - I have filed a motion to get passport applications signed - it's in our court order that we will do so but my ex has completely refused. I fully expect him to bring up a bunch of other things in his reply (CS for sure). But I have a final order and there has been no material change in circumstance affecting CS so can't I just state that and ignore his reply?

Comment

Just say you did but don't. its so easy there are no consequences in family law and how the hell can anyone prove what has happened to these passports. do you really think the military or Columbo will come to investigate you. Divorce is stupidity , use it to your advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by Franklin View Post
                    Just say you did but don't.
                    I'm not following?

Say you did, but don't do, what exactly?

Originally posted by Franklin View Post
                    ......and how the hell can anyone prove what has happened to these passports. do you really think the military or Columbo will come to investigate you. Divorce is stupidity , use it to your advantage.
                    I don't think anything can happen to the passports. They don't exist.

Comment

Sorry if what I'm about to ask has been stated...Are you travelling by vehicle into the States?
                      How old are the kids? I'm asking because until 16, kids don't need passports.

You SHOULD have a note from other parent but you could try the ignorance route & bring custody agreement!
                      It doesn't say you can't travel? Then travel!
                      In the 5 yrs I've been taking kids across boarder I've been asked for the note once.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X