X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yawn.......

Comment

The situation as I interpret it is that his wife got a lawyer, so he went looking for one himself. His wife got very aggressive, purportedly on the word of her lawyer, trying to pressure him into hurrying. He did not hear back from a particular lawyer he was interested in, which left him unable to deal well with her pressure. Now he has found out that the lawyer he did not hear back from was the one engaged by his wife, and he wonders if this was a tactic by the lawyer, to not indicate promptly that he should be out of consideration for hiring, to give the wife more time to pressure him.

If that was a deliberate tactic, should there be any repercussions for the lawyer? It sounds pretty underhanded to me, but is it really the way business is done for family law lawyers?

My lawyer told me of a case he'd heard of where one spouse went around having initial consultations with EVERY family lawyer there was in town, so the ex would have to hire one from out of town.

Family law is evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Rioe View Post
        My lawyer told me of a case he'd heard of where one spouse went around having initial consultations with EVERY family lawyer there was in town, so the ex would have to hire one from out of town.
        Thank you, Rioe, for taking time to read and understand my post. So many people too lazy to read thorough, but have an urge to reply regardless.

You got it right. That lawyer was referred to me by several people, but they definitely were not the only one I called. It is just one I know for certain that was already employed by ex. Few others also did not call back, it might as well be that ex- spoke to them too, I just don't know.

It's not that wife was pressuring me, though. She was scared, from all the horror stories that lawyer was telling her. She just wanted the SA on paper asap.

All it was just such a waste of time and money....

Comment

Or....the guy could have been on vacation.

Comment

Do you always assume people around you are idiots? When the guys is on vacation, the clerk will tell you they are on vacation. He don't tell you "we'll call back today". He don't tell the lawyer is in the meeting.

Comment

Besides, it was not a one man shop. They have several lawyers.

Comment

The other day I tried to get through to my lawyer but was unsuccessful as it turned out he was in court all day. When I finally did reach him we spoke for a round 15 minutes and at one point I asked him basically "how is business." His response to me was that he was so busy he was turning people away, then he said "there are at least 10 calls from potential new clients last week that I haven't even had the time to return."

Your concern is certainly understandable. A person does hear all sorts of nightmarish stories about unscrupulous lawyers. Probably many are true. Next time when you meet up with her lawyer joking ask him if he returns calls as you had tried to hire him and waited for him to call you back etc. Would be interesting to see how he reacts. If he did something wrong you can at least have fun watching the bugger squirm a bit.

Hope you have found a good young lawyer that returns your calls promptly and provides you with sound legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
                  The other day I tried to get through to my lawyer but was unsuccessful as it turned out he was in court all day. When I finally did reach him we spoke for a round 15 minutes and at one point I asked him basically "how is business." His response to me was that he was so busy he was turning people away, then he said "there are at least 10 calls from potential new clients last week that I haven't even had the time to return."

Your concern is certainly understandable. A person does hear all sorts of nightmarish stories about unscrupulous lawyers. Probably many are true. Next time when you meet up with her lawyer joking ask him if he returns calls as you had tried to hire him and waited for him to call you back etc. Would be interesting to see how he reacts. If he did something wrong you can at least have fun watching the bugger squirm a bit.

Hope you have found a good young lawyer that returns your calls promptly and provides you with sound legal advice.
                  When I call my lawyer I speak with the receptionist. There are many lawyers in the office with many clients, she has no access to my file and doesn't discuss clients with the lawyer. She has no idea who I am. If the lawyer is busy, on the phone, with client, out for lunch, in court, with a hooker, whereever, she says she will leave a message.

From past experience I don't expect a prompt call back. If I have an urgent matter, I specifically book an appointment for a phone consultation. If it's not urgent, then I take the call when it comes.

The last thing I expect from any professional is for them to jump on command. I don't call my dentist about my filling and expect him leave a patient in the chair with their mouth wide open while he yacks on the phone with me for 15 minutes. When I want to communicate with any professional I make an appointment.

I really don't think the concern is understandable, I think it is trivial. They weren't going to take your business. You weren't a priority. They didn't care about your feelings. Boo hoo.

Comment

Originally posted by randomjohndoe View Post
                    Do you always assume people around you are idiots?
                    Just the ones who are idiots and insist on focusing on irrelevant petty details.

Have a great day!

Comment

Originally posted by resourceful View Post
                      The gist of your claims seems to be the lawyer was representing your soon to be ex in preparing a [suit?] against you while making false promises that helped delay you from addressing the issues that would have prevented the [suit?].

I enclosed the word "suit" in square brackets followed by a question mark because I think you actually meant she brought her own application for divorce when you would have preferred to save money by filing jointly.

This definitely seems like it could be bad behavior on the lawyers part. He fomented conflict to create work for himself where there might have been none. But on the other hand perhaps you had complex property or other issues that neither you nor your STBX were in a position to understand the law about. You may indeed have a legitimate complaint. You may not. The trick is clarifying your account of events. As you can see from the responses you've gotten no one else understood.
                      the way the op worded it, there was no promises made, the lawyer just didnt return his phone call for whatever reason. The OP could have made more phone calls to other lawyers but didnt so he has to take some of the blame for the delay. He can use the excuse that the lawyer was recommended to him but I am sure if the lawyer is that good then people also recommended him to the STBX. If she made the call first the lawyer had an obligation to her first. Maybe the reason for the delay was that she had an appointment already and the lawyer wanted to see if she was going to retain him. Just guessing here.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X