Kids Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kids Schedule

My ex wants to change the kids schedule again. Our agreement says I get them 4 days a week and he gets them 3. He argued after it was signed, so we now do 50/50. Now he is in a relationship with a high conflict partner who is demanding week on week off. I already compromised last year with 5-2-2 during the school year and week on week off in the summer. The kids find the 5 days difficult because their dad lives outside the city, away from their school and friends and do not want to be out there 7 days at a time (they are 12 and 10). I also had to go no contact with the new partner last year because I was receiving harassing, insulting texts and emails daily, so the relationship is not good to say the least.

I have a lot of reservations about a schedule change because they are not very responsible, lie about a lot of things, skip important activities, say no to most of the kids requests to play sports, do not help with the homework, and have stopped informing me about important parenting info. They do not follow the parenting plan and the high conflict partner even said the agreement doesnÂ’t matter. They signed the kids up for stay away camp without my knowledge (and the kids didnÂ’t want to go), they are arguing about almost all special expenses because they donÂ’t want to pay and they are arguing money every time we talk.

I agreed to updating the agreement and suggested mediation with a lawyer, but they do not want to go. Over the last couple of weeks, the new partner went into my exes account and switched the shared calendar to week on week off without his knowledge on 2 separate occasions. My ex just defended her saying she was mixed up and said we donÂ’t have an agreement for the school year yet - which starts next week! I said the current 5-2-2 is the agreement and he agreed to switch back the calendar.

He has stopped returning messages, which usually means they are getting ready for an attack. I am worried they are just going to take the kids on my scheduled days to force the schedule change and put the kids right in the middle of the dispute. What can I do if they take the kids not on their scheduled days, how can I stop them from harassing me, since they wonÂ’t go to mediation?

Any advice is appreciated.

First, his partner is not a party to your agreement and you can remind him of that. Ignore anything from her.

Second, if your agreement outlines the days then you follow the agreement and tell him that as a result of the issues you will now revert back to the agreement as written.

As far as his time, he does what he wants and you get no say. Its his time. Unless the kids are bleeding uncontrollably, in a coma or otherwise seriously injured, you don’t get a say. Your response to the kids is “this is your dad and what he says goes, if you don’t like something, talk to him about it and try to work out a compromise”.

For expenses, if you didn’t get his written agreement then he doesn’t have to pay. Period.

It sounds like you both are flexing your muscles and getting nowhere fast.

Comment

One more question... our agreement says we will jointly make decisions about day care, camps, schooling, etc. It also says that if one parent cannot get them to an activity, the other will be given an opportunity to take them and/or spend time with the other child.

Are these even enforceable? Based on the above, my ex has complete say over major decision making during his time but we have clauses in our agreement that say major decisions will be made jointly.

It is confusing that lawyers encourage these clauses if they are meaningless. Does anyone else have these clauses in their parenting plans?

Comment

Unenforceable. His time his decisions.

Daycare is section 7 if necessary for work.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X