This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Wills Month

Just returned from a meeting today and this was brought to my attention. Participating lawyers in certain cities will write or update your will free of charge, if you donate to the charity(s) involved. I noticed that my lawyer is one of the participants.

Free Wills Month | Home

I should mention that individuals need to be 55 and over to qualify for this program. If a couple is making "mirror" or mutual wills, it is sufficient for only one of the individuals to be in this age bracket.
    Last edited by caranna; 10-07-2013, 05:07 PM. Reason: Additional Information inserted

Darn, was excited until the 55 part. Need to redo my will at some point....

Hope you are well caranna!

Comment

I'm very well, S&T. That's a lovely photo of you.

Problem is, you've got Oink hot and bothered now. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by caranna View Post
        I'm very well, S&T. That's a lovely photo of you.

Problem is, you've got Oink hot and bothered now. Lol.
        Thanks. I figured it was safe to come out from behind the anonymity now that I have things so settled. I've always been honest and told the truth here so I have nothing to hide.

Hopefully it will give others confidence to share too.

And I think Oink is that way regardless of my avatar. LOL.
        Last edited by SadAndTired; 10-07-2013, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oink View Post
          Well....I have nothing to hide either, and my avatar is a testament to that
          Where was that pic taken?

Comment

No problem...I found my answer.

Soldier Gives Thumbs Up | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I've always wanted to visit Jordan.

Comment

Originally posted by SadAndTired View Post
              Thanks. I figured it was safe to come out from behind the anonymity now that I have things so settled. I've always been honest and told the truth here so I have nothing to hide.

Hopefully it will give others confidence to share too.

And I think Oink is that way regardless of my avatar. LOL.
              I do a fair amount of photography, and I think its a very nice pic.

Comment

Back on track to WILLS

So, you sidetrack the thread in the first place and now want it back on track?

I wonder why.

Comment

You're a lovely woman Sadandtired. A few people have seen my picture (and my partner's pic) from here but if I ever actually get divorced, I'll follow your example and attach it to my profile. Hopefully I finish by the end of the year...sigh.

I should mention that individuals need to be 55 and over to qualify for this program. If a couple is making "mirror" or mutual wills, it is sufficient for only one of the individuals to be in this age bracket.
                  I'm not old enough to qualify for this but my lawyer updated my will & POA for really cheap since I've spent a ton of money already with their firm and since if I re-marry, I'm going to have to have it done all over again.

She's trying to sell me on getting a cohabitation agreement put together before my partner moves to Canada but athough we discussed both going in to her office to understand what all the potential risks are (he is far more at risk financially than I am)....I'm probably not going to have one done unless he wants it. And he's already indicated pretty adamantly that he doesn't.

One thing we are going to do is sit down and look carefully at each other's finances. He's already pretty aware of what I have since he does my taxes and helps with my budget.

Any experienced posters have info on cohabitation agreements and their enforceability though...please let me know (probably in a different thread).

Comment

Googleis indeed your friend....waiting for you to dig up where S&T took hers, Tayken, Iceberg and Baldguy...oh, lets not forget arabian, caranna et al

So what has stopped you from going? On second thought, don't answer that

Back on track to WILLS
                    I haven't posted any avatars, so am wondering why you are assuming...

Comment

Googleis indeed your friend....waiting for you to dig up where S&T took hers, Tayken, Iceberg and Baldguy...oh, lets not forget arabian, caranna et al

So what has stopped you from going? On second thought, don't answer that

Back on track to WILLS
                      How did I get dragged into this one? My picture on this site is from the movie advertisements for the movie titled "Taken".

Just to warn everyone posting personal pictures (PH)... I recommend you do not use a photo that scales to any similar photo you have used on social media that may reveal your personal identity. Google image search easily matches to Facebook profiles etc... It is similar to using the same user name on this site as other social media sites. From there often you can find one's public online dating profiles most times... Some times they are not great photos either of angry bald people... Just saying...

The reason being is that if you do post your picture you are providing prima facia evidence to the other party to the content and opinions you have shared here. As you are a very honest person PH, you probably wouldn't deny that you made the postings but, some posters do and then they find themselves in hot water with the court when the evidence is overwhelming on the balance of probabilities that they made the postings.

To prove the identity of someone on this site in a family law matter and the content posted belongs to that party only requires meeting the threshold of the balance of probability. It is not BEYOND REASONABLE DOUBT.

Also, generally speaking PH, your ex-partner from your description thrives on conflict. Why open up an unnecessary can of worms possibly? Why invite him into possibly coming here and attacking you, your postings, and all the potential negativity.

Your identity on this forum is defined by your content, helping others and the thanks you get from so many posters for your contributions. Not your personal identity... We all know you better than a photo could ever reveal based on the thousands of great postings you have here... The help you provide to people.

Good Luck!
                      Tayken

Comment

I got you mixed up with Jenibel....never mind
                        I haven't posted any photos of myself either, Oink simply saw a reflection in a mirror, since I was posting photos of my recent renovations.

Back to the topic in question - One of the first things that I did post-separation was to have my will changed leaving all and everything to my son. It just seemed like a sensible thing to do. I'd do somersaults in my grave if my Ex were to inherit from me!

Comment

Originally posted by Janibel View Post
                          I haven't posted any photos of myself either, Oink simply saw a reflection in a mirror, since I was posting photos of my recent renovations.

Back to the topic in question - One of the first things that I did post-separation was to have my will changed leaving all and everything to my son. It just seemed like a sensible thing to do. I'd do somersaults in my grave if my Ex were to inherit from me!
                          Well, I certainly didn't want my to be ex to access my estate either, so changes to my will were finalized last month. Like Pursuinghappiness, I received a substantial discount from my lawyer.

I left one half of my estate to charity, and the bulk of the remainder to my grandchildren.

Comment

Just to warn everyone posting personal pictures (PH)... I recommend you do not use a photo that scales to any similar photo you have used on social media that may reveal your personal identity.
                            I don't use any social media. I've never used FB or any of the other ones. And my ex has tried the cyber stalking method already...it got him no where. He actually installed a key stroke device on my personal laptop during our in-home separation and printed out everything I ever said/sent email-wise or online. It was useless. In fact, it got him in some hot water. He's lucky I didn't decide to go to a criminal lawyer...I was told it was a possibility...the laws are still very gray on some of these issues.

My ex's chance to cause me issues from a custody point of view are very much over...and I certainly am not afraid of him stalking me anymore. My child is old enough and is having enough issues with her father that what my ex needs to worry about is managing his relationship with her and keeping what access time he still has.

If he came onto this particular site..which is unlikely...and read or attacked my postings, I'd simply do what I do with any other repugnant troll on this site and hit ignore.

Your identity on this forum is defined by your content, helping others and the thanks you get from so many posters for your contributions. Not your personal identity... We all know you better than a photo could ever reveal based on the thousands of great postings you have here... The help you provide to people
                            Thank you Tayken...and you're right...although its nice to attach a face to a poster, its probably not very important.

Comment

Bruv'er...You missed the point and went off on a tangent

Breathe in and out...The poster that went off to find my avatar poster thought he was onto something, and was asking silly questions.
                              Bro,

I only asked the question because you insinuated that the picture in your avatar was one of yourself based on the following quote........

Well....I have nothing to hide either, and my avatar is a testament to that

I was merely pointing out that...why doesn't he go do the same search for other people's avatar!
                              Simple answer to that is that I don't believe the others are full of sh1te

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X