This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Procedural Question

I am hoping to go to court with a motion to collect overpayments of child support and extraordinary expenses. What I am looking for, is a good link explaining the procedure, forms required and court formalities, in order to proceed on my own behalf.

Is there a good site out there that explains the procedure in detail so I have the right forms for court, and that I follow procedure so I don't look like a doofus in front of the judge?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    G

Hi Grant,

Have a look at the Guide to Family Law Procedures in the Superior Court of Justice (see part 5).

I couldn't find any web sites that would be helpful as far as court formalities go, but I suggest that you:

1. Speak with the Family Law Information Centre. They aren't lawyers, but they are helpful. Try attending in person (you may need to make an appointment), because reaching them by phone can sometimes be impossible.

2. Connect with a support group. I think the Ottawa Divorce forums are a pretty good resource because so many members on here have been through it all. Ask as many questions as you like! There are no stupid questions when it comes to matters involving your kids.

3. Hire a lawyer on a consultation basis. The benefit of this is having the expertise of a lawyer behind you without having to put down a retainer. Some lawyers, including Jeffrey, will consult with you as often as you like for payment of their hourly rate for each session. The lawyer will be up-to-date with your case as a result of previous consultations, so you can get down to business with every visit.

Lindsay

Comment

Thanks Lindsay, your help is always appreciated!!

I will keep watching the postings and see what comes up. And of course, keep everyone up to date how things go.

G

Comment

Jeffrey? is he in Ottawa?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X