Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, here's another tip for improving sleep: Every night I take 2 tablets of Doctor's Best High Absorption Magnesium (200 mg. total). I take 2 tablets during the day also. It really helps with steadying the nerves and aids in sleep. It's not a miracle worker but it definitely helps.

Mods: If you find it necessary to delete the brand name I understand, but this is the best magnesium I've tried.
    Last edited by caranna; 03-23-2013, 09:07 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

All good advice here, when our children were stopped from seeing me, I lost 35 lbs in 14 days. Best diet I ever had, worst time of my life. Went from 195 down to 160 in 14 days.
      Not a great way stress wise, but weight loss wise pretty good. 2 years later I'm back up to 189lb.
      just shy of 6 feet tall.
      Anyhow about sleep, if I can't sleep and I don't have our girls I get dressed and go for a 5 - 10 minute jog or power walk outside.
      One other thing, coffee puts me to sleep, knocks me out cold.
      Tea calms me down.

Comment

I know what you mean with having problems sleeping; I was operating on around 2 hours "sleep" per day for the first 10 days after my separation.

I typically walk to and from work each day and spend most of the day on my feet, and started doing extra walking........not in malls, or the busy downtown area, but quiet areas. The exercise is good for me and the peace and quiet was actually a welcome break from everything. I made the mistake of drinking a little too much the first few days and realized that was a path to self-destruction. I still like to have a beer with friends now more than ever, but I do not drink simply to help me sleep.

Another thing I found helpful was to get back to taking time just for me to do what I wanted to do. Too often we get so involved with family, etc. that we forget to take care of ourselves. Taking time to read a book, or watch a movie simply for mindless entertainment, or chat with long neglected friends and family online, or just put on a pair of headphones and listen to some music loud enough so that when I close my eyes I hear nothing from the surrounding environment.

Although I like hadenough's suggestion right now I think it will be some time (maybe never) before I find someone else I want to be with.

Comment

Mobile Site Preview

^ tips for better sleep ^
          Last edited by hadenough; 03-24-2013, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oink View Post
            Well....in my case, I find running helps keep my mind away from stuff. I have done 95 marathons to date, and I was down in Hamilton this weekend running.

I have been finding it hard to sleep for months, that could just be due to my sleeping arrangement (inflated mattress on the floor since Aug last year) and and the rest of the stuff going on

I have been seeing a social worker to help through this difficult time, and the sleep question came up today. Overall, the social worker said it seems that things are moving (court papers filed, dates coming up, expectations etc), and that hopefully this whole thing can be resolved ASAP
            I'm sleeping on a 30 year old pull out couch since Aug 2011. This could defiantly be an issue for me too. But I have slept fine on it for months. Maybe I'll pick up a new pillow and see if that helps.

I referee a ton of hockey in the winter (3 - 4 1/2 hour 3 times / week). That is winding down now, hit the treadmill for the first time since September last week and OMG my quads were killing me for 3 days. I just want some nice weather to get out and hit the pavement.

I'm supposed to run a 10K on April 28th. Ran the 5K last year and looking to challenge myself. Not sure if it's a good idea now lol.

Comment

Originally posted by iceberg View Post
              Lol u cant even have sex while worrying, stress causes ED in men
              Well then, clearly my ex lied in his affidavit because he swore to the stress I caused, the job caused etc., but he never suffered from ED; on the contrary, it was always his position (and probably the only thing I ever agreed with him about) that that sex reduced stress

Comment

I'm supposed to run a 10K on April 28th. Ran the 5K last year and looking to challenge myself. Not sure if it's a good idea now lol.
                I think its a great idea.

I do think its just about distracting yourself and understanding that its going to be stressful for a while. It helped me a lot that I had a partner to speak to that was going through a similar life event. I definitely think having someone to talk to helps.

If its any consolation, you are at the worst part of the process (at least it was for me). I also got pretty stressed during my custody evaluation but I was moving so I had a lot of distraction and busied myself making sure I had all the documents I needed for the evaluator. But by that time, I was at least out of the house and once that happens, you'll find a lot of your stress and anxiety level will decrease.

There is nothing better than being in your own space after what you've been through FB...trust me on that.

Once I got settled, I also got back into weight training. I'm not sure why feeling physically stronger helps me feel calmer..but it does.

And yea, great sex always helps

Comment

wow you guys are impressive! 95 marathons oink?

How inspiring!

My brag to stress-busting activities would have to be eating. The last time I ran anywhere would probably have been a few years back when I had to dash from a parking lot to the pro shop to make my tee time. I probably didn't run but rather shuffled.

Comment

Originally posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post
                    I think its a great idea.

I do think its just about distracting yourself and understanding that its going to be stressful for a while. It helped me a lot that I had a partner to speak to that was going through a similar life event. I definitely think having someone to talk to helps.

If its any consolation, you are at the worst part of the process (at least it was for me). I also got pretty stressed during my custody evaluation but I was moving so I had a lot of distraction and busied myself making sure I had all the documents I needed for the evaluator. But by that time, I was at least out of the house and once that happens, you'll find a lot of your stress and anxiety level will decrease.

There is nothing better than being in your own space after what you've been through FB...trust me on that.

Once I got settled, I also got back into weight training. I'm not sure why feeling physically stronger helps me feel calmer..but it does.

And yea, great sex always helps
                    That's good to know.

Her lawyer was served my motion paperwork this morning. She was much calmer than I expected on many of the other "servings" who knows what this one will bring.

One step at a time.

I'm for sure running the marathon, just not sure the 10k vs. the 5k was a wise decision. lol

Comment

I'm also very impressed with everyone who runs marathons. I'm waiting for the weather to warm up before walking again. The fresh air and exercise really helps clears my mind.

Comment

You're probably all skin and bones you poor thing. Yes please do post some pictures.

I will try to shuffle faster when I go up the stairs (at least 9 of them).

Make sure you eat something......

Comment

I try to aim for 15 - 25 miles cardio per week and weight training. I'm pretty sure if I wasn't exercising, I'd be even more stressed. (Possibly insane :s)

Lol, iceberg: women don't need to worry about ED although a woman's libido can also be greatly affected by stress.

@oink: why don't you get a real mattress? You can always take it with you when you move. Better than an air mattress any day!!

I seriously need to try Yoga and see what the hype is about

Comment

^ I already feel enough "pain."

I'm thinking regular yoga should do the trick. I don't like extreme heat and with my luck, I'd end up stuck in some awful position and have to be carried out, all sweaty. Excercising in a "rainforest climate" isn't my thing.

Comment

I'm thinking regular yoga should do the trick. I don't like extreme heat and with my luck, I'd end up stuck in some awful position and have to be carried out, all sweaty. Excercising in a "rainforest climate" isn't my thing.
                              Yea, I hate hot rooms when I exercise...I like fresh oxygen and cool, non-moldy air. I've seen hot yoga and its a crappy fad if you ask me. If you want to be warm when you stretch, just workout first...you have lots of blood flow then and don't have to fake it with steam.

The best yoga I tried was sling/suspension yoga and that's saying a lot considering that I think yoga is a colossal waste of time. You are in a sling hanging from the ceiling which helps to elongate your pose and you're weightless. However, like I said...I think yoga is a goofy waste of time. I guess I'd do it if I was 80 years old and couldn't do other types of workouts.

I stretch anyway for 10 minutes after I workout and working out actually is productive. I like to process oxygen, gain cardio and fitness, and increase muscle mass if I have an hour of time. Yoga doesn't really accomplish those goals. Its fine if you have injuries or need a stretching day though.

I think the reason people like it so much is a) Its a fad b) Anyone can do it (which is good...any fitness is good) and c) you can do it at whatever level pretty easily. I have no problem with any form of exercise, moving is great...but if I'm gonna workout, I'm gonna WORKOUT! I like maximizing my workout effectiveness in the time I have.

I apologize to all you yoga lovers for my rant...lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post
                                Yea, I hate hot rooms when I exercise...I like fresh oxygen and cool, non-moldy air. I've seen hot yoga and its a crappy fad if you ask me. If you want to be warm when you stretch, just workout first...you have lots of blood flow then and don't have to fake it with steam.

The best yoga I tried was sling/suspension yoga and that's saying a lot considering that I think yoga is a colossal waste of time. You are in a sling hanging from the ceiling which helps to elongate your pose and you're weightless. However, like I said...I think yoga is a goofy waste of time. I guess I'd do it if I was 80 years old and couldn't do other types of workouts.

I stretch anyway for 10 minutes after I workout and working out actually is productive. I like to process oxygen, gain cardio and fitness, and increase muscle mass if I have an hour of time. Yoga doesn't really accomplish those goals. Its fine if you have injuries or need a stretching day though.

I think the reason people like it so much is a) Its a fad b) Anyone can do it (which is good...any fitness is good) and c) you can do it at whatever level pretty easily. I have no problem with any form of exercise, moving is great...but if I'm gonna workout, I'm gonna WORKOUT! I like maximizing my workout effectiveness in the time I have.

I apologize to all you yoga lovers for my rant...lol.
                                I agree with a workout being a workout.

I try to maintain 85% MHR (Maximum Heart Rate) for at least 50 minutes. For me that's a HR of 158. I also try to get at least a couple of minutes in at 90% or HR of 167.

When I was 60 lbs heavier I couldn't maintain 85% for more than 30 seconds. So I was doing intervals. Now I can maintain for the whole hour or more.

My blood pressure went from 128/97 to 108/72 and I went from a size 46 to 34/36.

My original goal is now 5 lbs away. and I may try for another 20 after that. We will see how I feel.

People always ask me what my secret is or what great diet I am on. When I say exercise and portion control they all roll their eyes

You really have to change your lifestyle. Now the trick is maintaining that healthy lifestyle.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X