This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catch in lie or release what I know

If I catch my ex still cohabitating (4 different addresses 21 months same guy) do I let her try to say she isn't in court and present evidence to the contrary or
    do I file the motion requesting her boyfriend's financial situation. I would like to trap in a lie to discredit any of her testimony as opposed to just going after a reduction or elimination of spousal support. What evidence do I need for cohabitation I have them both at 4 different addresses together during their cohabitation. I don't want to reveal any more info as it may become too public and jeopardize my situation. DO I need an affidavit, will revealing my info during the settlement conference damage any other moves at trial if need be.

THe way I see it is our wage span is minimal $10-12000 gross ( approx. $120 per pay) I am helping my oldest with accommodation. She is 6 years younger, my health requires the earliest possible retirement. I I am able to use a 25% Tax rate on my pension valuation we are even on net family property. She is still cohabitating. Her wage will increase mine will decrease. I reduced my side of the net family property statement by giving her 75% of equity in home.

She did not 1) reveal she was living with someone in her case conference Net family property statement and income statement she left it blank. 2)She said during the case conference ( can I get a copy of the case conference transcript to refer to it in the settlement conference) that her relationship with him was not like that.....when her relationship was described as adulterous common-law relationship by my lawyer.

My questions are:

Do I need to fill out a revised net family property statement? (because I released the money to her just recently.) And is releasing the money from trust to her is that considered a written agreement between us.
    Aside from answering for confirmation of attendance what other forms are necessary.
    How long before the settlement conference should I file any motions or affidavits.
    If I don't want child support for my oldest or I wish to state that if she drops her claims I will not file any claims for support when I retire with a reduced wage. approx $10000 gross below hers.
    I hope someone understands what I am trying to do. We just prefer to be left alone so I can get my son finished and on to his own life. WIthout me he would be broke no address and living on a scholarship grant for another 18 months.

PS If my family or neighbours who have been supportive to me through this ever read this, I cannot thank you enough. TO the moderators and to this forum I sincerely appreciate everything you have done in way of encouragement and direction

Thanks from the heart,
    Mcbroke

McBroke,

You will have to complete a financial statement for your upcoming settlement case conference. They are only good for 30 days of being sworn. Additionally, if a party realizes a financial change in the subsequent 30 days, they are to report the change either by regular affidavit or provide a new financial statement.

Remember that if it is you that arranged the settlement conference, your settlement case conference brief and financial statement has to be served and filed at least 7 days before the held settlement conference. The other party has to serve and file their settlement conference brief and financial statement at least 4 days before the held settlement case conference. and vice versa, depending on which party arranged the settlement conference.

Both parties are to submit to the Registar Form 14C confirmation 2 days before the held case conference.

Releasing the funds to the other party would not be considered a written agreement. When you say written agreement; Are you referring to a separation agreement as per a valid separation agreement as listed in Part IV of the Family Law Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. F-3?

Releasing funds prematurely without a valid separation agreement is dangerous. A separation agreement should settle all the issues. By releasing funds early, It just gives the party more $$$$ to litigate.

At your settlement conference don't forget to get last minute discoveries from the other party to support your stance.

LV

Comment

Thanks LogicalVelocity

Thank you LogicalVelocity I am the respondent in this situation. I released the funds because it was the only thing on my side left that created an imbalance.

The written agreement is my releasing the funds held in trust to her and her accepting them from the real estate lawyer.

I am currently working on filling out the confirmation the Financial and Settlement conference brief.

How do I get last minute discoveries from the other party?
      Do I still wait for them to tell more lies at the settlement conference or should I reveal my evidence completely prior to the settlement conference. Clearly they are hiding things and don't want to get caught. Plus my ex receives monies and or gifts from her employer ( I know this from the past...a free bbq, free food from work free uniforms etc.that she fails to include on her financial statement, while mine is automatically revealed.

Thanks LV

Comment

Mcbroke,

I assume the other party served you a SWORN financial statement with their Settlement Conference Brief. Confirm if they filed this financial statement into the continuing record.

If you have received their financial statement, but wasn't complete. SPECIFY what they did wrong. Lacking information slips, sections left blank. Get the other party to complete the form properly. You have grounds to request as the family law rules regulate this.

(If they leave a section blank, its not as lie at this point) All your asking for here is that they comply with the Family Law Rules on completion of the financial statement.

I believe the financial statement form in the income section has an area for other benefits from employment.

You can always examine the party under oath after you receive a properly completed financial statement.

LV

Comment

Settlement Conference Financial Statement and Conference Brief

I have received as requested by my fax Form 13.1(Sworn) and Settlement Conference Brief Form 17C with an offer to settle with outrageous amounts. There are some conditions that I agree to signing over the van and camper to her and releasing her from my car lease (if possible). His supportmate calculations have me earning $12000 year more than I actually make and I can't access the software (Mine is $55000 hers is allegedly $41000.

She admits to a common law partner but doesn't include his wage-left blank again- Part 6 section 5 left blank. However section 6 says he contributes 50% per month to household expenses, yet on her expense sheet she has claimed the full rent. (Common-law now for approx 20 months and holding)

In the lawyers calculation he has failed to acknowledge receipt of the remaining money in trust that I released to her Also they refuse to acknowledge on my liabilites the large amount of debt that I assumed .

Do I counter offer or do I ask first for corrections to the form first and then comply with some of the issues that I agree to.

Is there any way I can do a supportmate calculation?

Comment

I would ask for corrections to be made first with full and frank disclosure.

Support mate is legal software. The company I believe is DIVORCEMATE. They also have all the court forms. www.divorcemate.com Very expensive!

However, another equivalent good software is CHILDVIEW. www.childview.ca It is more reasonable and additionally you can order a free trial version.

If your any good with ms excel, you could also make your own calculations applying tax brackets for respective province's. You could apply the support formulas as found in the spousal support advisary guidlines in an excel sheet to determine amount of support.

However, I think your main issue is the financial information of the third party and them coming clean with this information. Since it NOW has been mentioned, that indeed she is living in a coomon law relationship, request financial disclosure from that party.

LV

Comment

Mcbroke,

Under the Courts of Justice Act - Family Law Rules

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/R.../990114a_e.htm

ADDITIONAL FINANCIAL INFORMATION

(11) If a party believes that another party’s financial statement does not contain enough information for a full understanding of the other party’s financial circumstances,

(a) the party shall ask the other party to give the necessary additional information; and

(b) if the other party does not give it within seven days, the court may, on motion, order the other party to give the information or to serve and file a new financial statement. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 13 (11).

QUESTIONING ON FINANCIAL STATEMENT

(13) A party may be questioned under rule 20 on a financial statement provided under this rule, but only after a request for information has been made under clause (11) (a). O. Reg. 114/99, r. 13 (13).

I would be sending a FORMAL request for more information as per rule 13(11)

This paves the way for Rule 13(13) in accordance with rule 20

RULE 20: QUESTIONING A WITNESS AND DISCLOSURE

QUESTIONING — PROCEDURE

20. (1) Questioning under this rule shall take place orally under oath or affirmation. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 20 (1).

CROSS-EXAMINATION

(2) The right to question a person includes the right to cross-examine. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 20 (2).

ORDER FOR QUESTIONING OR DISCLOSURE

(5) The court may, on motion, order that a person (whether a party or not) be questioned by a party or disclose information by affidavit or by another method about any issue in the case, if the following conditions are met:

1. It would be unfair to the party who wants the questioning or disclosure to carry on with the case without it.

2. The information is not easily available by any other method.

3. The questioning or disclosure will not cause unacceptable delay or undue expense. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 20 (5).

QUESTIONING SPECIAL PARTY

(6) If a person to be questioned is a special party, the court may, on motion, order that someone else be questioned in addition to or in place of the person. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 20 (6).

QUESTIONING ABOUT AFFIDAVIT OR NET FAMILY PROPERTY STATEMENT

(7) The court may make an order under subrule (5) that a person be questioned or disclose details about information in an affidavit or net family property statement. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 20 (7).

QUESTIONING OR DISCLOSURE — PRECONDITIONS

(8) A party who wants to question a person or obtain information by affidavit or by another method may do so only if the party,

(a) has served and filed any answer, financial statement or net family property statement that these rules require; and

(b) promises in writing not to serve or file any further material for the next step in the case, except in reply to the answers or information obtained. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 20 (8).

LV

Comment

Mcbroke,

If you have msexcel, I have made up a simple calculator spreadsheet to calculate spousal support amounts using advisory guidelines - low and high end quantum and high and low end duration. For long marriages of 20 years and over, duration is indefinite by default with the advisory guidelines.

Pm me your email address if your interested, and I can send it to you if you like. The forum does not allow upload of ms excel files.

The calculator is just for "without child support situations." This is currently in the works.

LV

Comment

Originally posted by logicalvelocity
                  Mcbroke,

If you have msexcel, I have made up a simple calculator spreadsheet to calculate spousal support amounts using advisory guidelines - low and high end quantum and high and low end duration. For long marriages of 20 years and over, duration is indefinite by default with the advisory guidelines.

Pm me your email address if your interested, and I can send it to you if you like. The forum does not allow upload of ms excel files.

The calculator is just for "without child support situations." This is currently in the works.

LV
                  LV, that's really impressive that you've done that! If you wish, I can upload the spreadsheet on my site (with appropriate credit to you of course), and then people can download it from there.

Unfortunately, the forum software doesn't permit MS Excel files to be uploaded - not sure why that is, as most other formats are supported.
                  Ottawa Divorce

Comment

Jeff,

So far I have without child support obligations - where do I send it? It was a simple calculation.

the "With child support obligation" is in the works. I have to look up tax rates from Ontario. Perhaps expand it to include all provinces. I have to look up the cpp/and EI rates based on a gross number entered. The variable would be the individual other deductions such as health plans, LTDI deductions etc. These would vary to the individual requiring an individual entry. The other thing I have to research is the national child tax benefit amount. This is consistent but I believe it is based on age of child etc.

It took a few minutes to make the calculator after looking at the formulas used from the advisory guidelines I double checked the calculated values with the examples given in the guidelines. Just 3 entries to be made to give you the high and the low periodic values and determines duration.

lv

Comment

Yes, the "with child support" formula is a bit of a nightmare.

I think you should start with Ontario, then you can expand it from there. One step at a time. You can find federal tax rates, provincial tax rates, cpp rates and ei rates here:
                      http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/allrates/menu-e.html
                      Ottawa Divorce

Comment

Hi LogicalVelocity

I have been busy getting forms ready for court, my exes lawyerfilled out his incorrectly to inflate the numbers.

Question 1 :If net family property is negative after subtracting the deductions for her do I enter 0. (For me after deductions it's approx. $16000 ( I assume half of this is what I would owe her.) Her lawyer has made a mess of this moving amounts around (debts that I assumed in her column and assets in my column that she has) to inflate the differences and creating a gap of $55,000.

Question 2: How do I PM you?

Question 3: Her lawyer added a financial statement summary page for her Net family property, if I do this it will inflate the differences.

Thanks from the heart once again,
                        Mcbroke

Comment

Mcbroke,

The proper form should be used and exchanged between the parties and subsequently filed into the continuing record. Either form 13 or 13.1. These are sworn forms are to be filled out completely, attach itax returns and assessments and proof of employment and other source of income.
                          I emphasis to you to verify that they have filed the same version. This is what the Judge will see.

The Family Law Rules are very concise when it comes to financial forms and completion of such in the conforming manner.

If the net property value is negative, it is treated as $ 0.00 enter $0.00

If you look at the top right of and web page of the forum website you will see welcome "user name"

I believe they can add a proposed budget to their financial statement, not to sure of a summary statement. To me the form provides for this already. However it isn't really an issue.

Either way you can attach your own summary, calculation or whatever document to an affidavit. I completed a"without child support" calculator for determining payable spousal support and duration in respect to the advisory guidelines. I have the second part"with child support" in the works and is coming along great.

Do you have Microsoft excel? The calculator is in an excel format. However, there is a FREE office suite available for download. I can convert the calc into open office application. You can find open office here

OPEN OFFICE -

http://download.openoffice.org/2.0.2...stall_wJRE.exe

(This version is for Windows with JRE components)

LV

Comment

Settlement Conference Brief

I have completed 13.1 and 13B and just want to make sure I fill out the Settlement Conference Brief correctly. Should I stick to financial facts or include her flirtatious behaviour and her walking away from debts and the fact my health was on the decline. Statements that are fact include her adulterous and common law relationship for almost two years. PS. Our net monthly income differs by about $130 our NFP I believe has been addressed by my release of the funds held in estate to her ( I will attach a copy to the Settlement ). It puts us at 0 in fact she is a little better than me by a couple of thousand. I'm ok with this as long as she leaves me alone.

Do I make an offer and include what I have done and what I am willing to do?

How do I make a motion if they refuse to update their financial record and fill out the form as I commented on earlier?

I wish to name her common law beau as a third party how do I do this by motion?

Are there forms for motions?

PS logicalvelocity I've added you to my Buddy List

Thanks again so much

Comment

McBroke,

I can certainly relate to your predicament since I am going through something quite similar. I was recently served with a "continuing record" and maybe you can help here, the financial statement in my opinion is absolutely wrong. There are valuation date ommissions for bank accounts, formula errors, inflated numbers etc. For example when listing marital assets (ie. home) the STBX has the entire amount listed as her asset as well as the liabilty associated with it. Shouldn't these values entered only represent your half of the asset/liability? This is repeated throughout the statement. If I am right do you call them on it or just go about your business and respond as required, bring it all up at the case conference?

On a side note, I am seriously questioning the legitimacy of the whole record which I was served. Although the format and everything appears correct and I am no expert but the application starts out as a Form 8 then switches to a Form 8A, there is no court seal stamped, the financial statement forms are a little different then the ones available on the government website, it seems that I am missing documents (am I not entitled to copies of the STBX's past 3 year tax notices since they were supposedly filed with the court's copy?). Also is it customary for the court clerk's signature to be stamped? Any way like I said I'm no expert but this whole thing doesn't jive with the "formal requirements of the Continuing Record..." maybe I'm just paranoid though. But suppose I'm not... can I go down to the courthouse to confirm that this has actually been filed? Has anyone heard of a lawyer using this quite of tactic to strongarm the respondant into settling before a case conference?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X