X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with involveddad75, would just add that if you plan on using the recording in court, this is a very different matter and would depend on the circumstances and relevance.

Comment

Hi all, related question I believe.

Now represented by a lawyer and Children's Lawyer has now brought on social work assist. I am the Applicant seeking a motion to change / vary existing separation agreement in regards to increased acces (close to / equal to 50%) / shared custody.

The Children's Lawyer and Assessor so far are only scheduling an in-home visit / observation not with my ex. I feel that is because I have made all my pleadings about the best interest's of the children and tried not to be all about her vindictiveness or parenting, concern of parental alienation thanks to her now new hubby etc.

What is your opinion on this? Should I be pushing hard for the OCL to do a in-home evaluation / observation with them as well? Should I be concerned they online want to do it with me. Is this odd or not? Appreciate any feedback. My lawyer just said: oh it's just because you are the only one pursuing a significant increase in access and the OCL just wants to see how you parent and how the children respond / interact with you. Mind you my lawyer is new to my case and hasn't been able to review all the background and documents yet.

As you may recall, I've experienced what I believe is some bias from the Children's Lawyer from my first meeting and now a social work assist has be brought in by this individual as well.

Comment

I would be asking what the purpose of the observation is for?
        If it's to determine the best interests of the child, then state how the the OCL being involved? Under what legislation?
        If they refer to the best interests of the child, then ask that the OCL commit to provide both parties with a report, and that all collateral notes be disclosed after the report is filed. And ask them to commit to that in writing.

If it's to determine the preferences of the children. Away from your ex's influence, then by all means agree to it.

At the end of the day the OCL must show that they acted in a balanced and neutral way. Anything that is not balanced and neutral can be used to have the recommendations thrown out.

Comment

Ocl

so, it seems I am in same same boat like all of you. OCl lawyer is getting involved probably after the holidays.

What is your experience overall, what do I say, what dont I say, whats important to them?

Sad to see all fathers having to fight for their children

Comment

Anyone else? Is it normal procedure for the OCL to just do an in-home observation with one party, with the applicant party requesting a variation to the status quo in regards to access and custody? I find it weird and unbalanced as I requested the OCL Involvement and part of the reason was because of concern of parental alienation by the other party, have concerns about her use of alcohol etc. I find it pretty irresponsible they don't want to observe the children with her as well. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by DontGiveUp View Post
              Anyone else? Is it normal procedure for the OCL to just do an in-home observation with one party, with the applicant party requesting a variation to the status quo in regards to access and custody? I find it weird and unbalanced as I requested the OCL Involvement and part of the reason was because of concern of parental alienation by the other party, have concerns about her use of alcohol etc. I find it pretty irresponsible they don't want to observe the children with her as well. Thoughts?
              I believe this is a question and not a tip.
              Please post the question in a thread, after which I will respond to it.
              When you ask you question please provide more information.
              Such as under what section is the OCL involved?
              Is it section 112 (social worker)
              or is it section 89 (lawyer).

Thanks

Comment

Just had an in-home observation and the first meeting of the social work assist with my kids with their Children's Lawyer present and what a joke. 45 mins of all of us playing board games, the Children's Lawyer didn't even want to be there. And this is going to help determine access and custody?!

Comment

Thats a great way to spend an observation visit.
                  But this isn't a tip, should be in a new thread.

Comment

I had the OCL lawyer at my place .... went ok I think. What he thinks about 50/50 I dont know, but he knows (I think ) I am a good father

He asked me actually to please fire him from the job, he would rather have us get to a solution

There is no social worker involved, I do not know what that means.

How much weight will the report from him have? He asked me about what I was accused of, and said that this was nothing in comparison what other stories he heard....

Comment

If lawyer is involved, then their won't be a report.
                      He will simply tell the court the preferences of the children.

How old are they.

Comment

the boys are 12 (just) and almost 9

Comment

almost 10, sorry

Comment

so, if there wont be a "report", is that a good thing or bad thing?

Comment

Have you read this thread in it's entirety???

If so you would know that the lawyer can only report on the preferences of the child, and not the BIOC.

Comment

i tried to read it all, but there is so much to digest..... so, how much saying will the boys have? will they simply be asked "how many percent do you want?"

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X