No announcement yet.

S7, post-secondary or none?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off the total then, not just kids portion. Theres other grants kids is eligible for that parents are agreeing are hers.

Comment

Yes it's off the total. OSAP doesn't care about the portions. Kid could easily say "that's my portion".

I guess technically the total bill should be split after all grants have been applied. What other grant is the kid receiving that is considered to be hers alone?

Comment

Wow. I honestly have to say I would be ticked with this nonsense as well. Not only does mom have to be the bank of Canada and pay everything upfront (dads portion to) to get you the precious receipt of paid up front, you are also adding stress to the kid about finances during the most stressful time of their lives. Wow. Doesn't this whole site say "best interest of kid"

How about Dad asks for a copy of the invoice due and pays the school this coming year himself and no receipts needed to change hands for payment anymore. Mom and kid pay their piece (kid pay comes from tuition GRANT (grant means not loan-kid doesn't pay back-this is kids grant not yours),

Mom doesn't have to be putting all this money out upfront to get the receipt. The majority is paid and kid can relax and not stress. Then you guys can squabble about the 5% or 10% that is issue? Once everyone is squabbling about a few hundred bucks maybe just split it down the middle and just stop nickel and diming.Take the anger and stress away.

The kid is educating and will be out from your financial wings soon. Be proud and support them. Worst case scenario you paid a few grand too much over the years. Will it matter 10 years from now...no. Will your kid remember the parents doing nothing but bicker about finances - yup!

Comment

S7, post-secondary or none?

Perhaps you should go back and review my other posts on this. The offer to pay his portion began last SPRING before an acceptance was actually received. He got no response. Getting support on withdrawing money from the RESP took a month and a half of waiting for moms agreement. Hes now asked 8 times over 12 months for ANY DETAILS like invoices, statements, possible account totals, everything so he could pay his portion INCLUDING directly to the school. Those requests were also ignored. He cant even pay anything to the school because he doesnt have a student number to do so. The registrars office wont take a name as proof. When I say he has tried to meet his obligations I MEAN IT.

Dont associate your situation with his. My partner WANTS to pay his portion of expenses, has been fighting tooth and nail to adhere to the law, and has nothing but backlash for trying to do the right thing. The only thing that the other side will accept is "your portion of my estimate is a cheque for $XXXXX". If the tables were turned and your ex said that, would you hand over a cheque or would you pause and ask for more details?
          Last edited by rockscan; 04-30-2015, 12:53 PM.

Comment

I knew you would be offended with my post. What I am saying is perhaps you need to take a new approach. I have read a lot of your posts. I perceive a general overall "we want to do the right thing but can't because she won't give me x,y,z"

He can look up how much tuition is online. He can look up when it is due. He can look up how much accommodation is and when it due. He can write a check to the school and include kids full name, birth date, home address and area of study and year kid is in. They will look up the student number (and not tell you...privacy act doesn't allow it) and apply the money to kids account. I work at a post-secondary institution and it is done routinely. If he really wants to pay he can.

If there is any question they will call/email kid and ask if OK to credit kid account. Kid is in control here not mom. Kid will know Dad has paid (therefore maybe dad not a deadbeat anymore like mom is portraying?)

My situation has zero association with yours. My ex pays nothing even though he should and can and my kids don't know. We all raise kids differently. If my ex paid up front for everything and said my portion is X amount. Damn straight I would - cheaper then what I am doing now LOL That is in jest and no you can't just hand money hand over but pay direct it may save lots of interaction and kid will know!

Comment

Im not sure what school you work at but this one refuses to help. He called the school in the fall (and later when the busy period was over). Was told they cant provide the info without a court order to so. He even knows several educators at the school and tried that way. No dice. Kid says they arent involved and he has to talk to mom. You get to a point where you give up trying. Which where hes at. You and I disagree and thats fine. I appreciate the input.

Comment

OK I don't want to cause him more grief but it is important to know that if his kid is in post secondary education (College or University) and over 18 years old. Mom has no ability to see or even ask the school about anything...nor does Dad. The school will only provide information to kid (who is considered an adult - privacy act)All Post secondary is very dedicated to this privacy so parents can't call up and get kids grades to prove kid is lying to parents.

For example. Dad wants transcript report of first year grades. The only person that can access that information and authorize it is the kid. Example..Dad wants print out of the financial account. Only person that can access and print that information is the kid.

For example dad wants tuition receipt. The only person that can receive the receipt is the kid. The receipt for tuition payment (even if Dad or mom pays ) will come with kids name on it..not moms..not dads..not osaps..only the kid.

The kid has to be involved for all of this (even if it being passed to mom and then passed to dad) If kid is saying he must talk to mom then mom has directed this and kid is complying. Kid doesn't have to comply but it choosing to. Can he give the kid the money directly and say "this is for my portion of tuition" after he looks up the cost. Write check in kids name and throw in snail mail or hand directly if he still sees kid. Even if mom won't allow kid to cash it...kid still knows it was offered?

Comment

And if mom really wants to be paid she'll furnish receipts. It's really quite simple.

The rules of engagement are there for everyone. It's standard practice to agree on costs before they are spent. And to substantiate expenses incurred.

This problem is easily solved. My thinking is if mom solves the issue by virtue of providing receipts *she clearly does have* it eliminates an avenue to pester dad.

The kid can step up to the plate in this matter and hasn't. Nuff said.

Comment

...but the father legally owes the money to the mother. The child was not a party to the court order or sep agreement

Comment

I hear what you are saying Serene. If they want to go to court yes father legally owes the mother but paid the kid directly for kid S.7 Post secondary. This is easily proved in court with a print out of check and account it came out of. Mom would be going to court for a lie that he didn't pay when he did and easily proved. I doubt court would come into play.

Now if FRO or MEP are involved already (which I don't think they are in this case) it can become very ugly. However he could easily not consent to the expense because already paid and as soon as no consent FRO won't enforce.

I was trying to come up with something so kid doesn't think Dad is deadbeat when he is not trying to be. A different approach then the mom won't give me the receipt so I am not paying...who know what mom tells kid. If kids get the money direct mom will have a hard time saying he won't pay.

Comment

Courts sometimes order payers to pay direct to kid once they are in post-secondary. Less interaction between battling ex's the better for kid!

Comment

Also, he asked kid if he could send her money. She said no she would send anything to mom. Plus he sent stuff to her at the school as per moms direction to just send it to the college and it sat in the porters office for two months.

It all goes back to a willingness to cooperate.

Comment

Originally posted by Reality View Post
                            Courts sometimes order payers to pay direct to kid once they are in post-secondary. Less interaction between battling ex's the better for kid!

Oh man, if only!!! Again though, the only time kids gets involved is when it means they can call up dad to yell at him for asking questions.

Trust me when I say he has attempted every avenue to solve this.

Comment

And FRO is involved for CS. They wont touch post secondary because of vagueness of order. S7 is an issue because mom doesnt submit properly.

Comment

Also, he asked kid if he could send her money. She said no she would send anything to mom.
                                Great you send to kid, kid sends to mom or spends it on beer and wings and never tells mom. You have paid your portion, you have record of the check that clearly stated for tuition. Kid knows you are not deadbeat. Mom can continue to whine you show her the proof you paid.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X