This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by girltrax101 View Post
    I'm not a big fan of spousal support either working dad...I feel in some cases, it's just not fair and things are greatly taken advantage of...but in other's it is. When I leave July 1st, I want NO looking back. I don't want nothing to drag on, I want a few bucks in my pocket for simple security 'till I find a job. The initial shock of him asking me to leave has worn off some, and I do in fact believe he had choices...we had choices...he didn't even sit me down to discuss anything, he just told me and walked away. I'm not materialistic, hate shopping...complete tomboy. He once told me I was every man's dream...ha!! guess not. I'm petrified to see a lawyer today, the only thing I take comfort is knowing this is just to hear my rights. I just want to say to my husband...instead of involving lawyers and me getting X amount, I only want this, so is that workable for you?...and yes, I'm living in dreamland again, but one can hope.

Good luck today!

Don't sell yourself short. You can walk away. Head held high and still make sure you have enough to provide for your child.

Comment

Thanx Karma...."head held high"...hope so as it's been hang'n lately and I've done nothing wrong! My friends say to get angry...here's my reply "have you ever seen me angry?"...that usually stops them, but then they say...do it for my daughter. Stay tuned.....

Comment

I always used to settle for less to keep the peace as I don't like conflict. But when it comes to my son or now my step daughters I am like a grizzly bear.

Comment

Originally posted by girltrax101 View Post
          I'm not a big fan of spousal support either working dad...I feel in some cases, it's just not fair and things are greatly taken advantage of...but in other's it is. When I leave July 1st, I want NO looking back. I don't want nothing to drag on, I want a few bucks in my pocket for simple security 'till I find a job. The initial shock of him asking me to leave has worn off some, and I do in fact believe he had choices...we had choices...he didn't even sit me down to discuss anything, he just told me and walked away. I'm not materialistic, hate shopping...complete tomboy. He once told me I was every man's dream...ha!! guess not. I'm petrified to see a lawyer today, the only thing I take comfort is knowing this is just to hear my rights. I just want to say to my husband...instead of involving lawyers and me getting X amount, I only want this, so is that workable for you?...and yes, I'm living in dreamland again, but one can hope.
          I would say in most cases it's just not fair and things are greatly taken advantage of and in some it's.

As I said for me it looks like your case is one of thous (fair one). I also 100% agree what Mess said. Mess always put exectly what I was thinking in such great wording... I begin to think he has connection to my brain

Comment

The Supreme Court of Canada decides that Common-Law Couples who split up deserve thei

The Supreme Court of Canada decides that Common-Law Couples who split up deserve their fair share
            The Supreme Court of Canada recently clarified the rules for separating common law spouses in the case of Michele Vanasse v. David Seguin.
            Michele took a leave of absence to move with David to Halifax for important business reasons. Over the next 3½ years, the Michele and David had two children with Michele staying home to look after the kids and David developed his company.
            Michele and David moved back to Ottawa in 1998. In September 2000, the company was sold, netting David about $11 million. Michele and David separated in 2005.
            Since Michelle had given up her job for several years to look after children and help her partner David Seguin build his business she was entitled to financial compensation.
            Supreme Court of Canada Justice Thomas Cromwell state that “where both parties have worked together for the common good, with each making extensive, but different, contributions to the welfare of the other and, as a result, have accumulated assets, the money remedy for unjust enrichment should reflect that reality”.
            This Supreme Court decision now creates are more equal footing for common-law couples and moves them closer to the status and rights that married couples currently enjoy.
            However, unlike many married couples the rights and status of common-law spouses will continue depend on the facts of each case.
            Russell Alexander and his team of family law professionals can assist you with ascertaining your own rights in this regard.
            To learn more about the rights of common-law couples and other family law issues please visit our website at www.russellalexander.com
            The Supreme Court’s decision in Vanasse v. Seguin can be found at http://bit.ly/if4Avs

Comment

^^ not on point. They don't have children together and therefore you cannot equate the cases instance where the woman stayed home to raise the kids to this instance where she helped out for less than adequate compensation.

Further, that case involves a sold company with an easily attributable value. In this case, it is a) a farming venture, meaning it is hard to value and b) is at least jointly owned with a 3rd party (the ex's mom).

Notwithstanding the above, taking into compensation she was paid by the company, one may also have to consider her living in a residence owned by the company and not paying rent/utilities and any amounts that may be worth. Living rent free at the cost of the company would most likely be deemed a "benefit" to the OP, and could be valued accordingly.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X