Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preemptive strike (adult interdependent partnership agreement)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preemptive strike (adult interdependent partnership agreement)

So if you didn't want to have to worry about becoming common law with someone and them taking your stuff, couldn't you just sign an adult interdependent partnership agreement with one of your parents (assuming they aren't married)? If I read the "adult interdependent partnership" details correctly, you can only have one "adult interdependent partner", and it can be a friend or family member.

This seems like a stupid law to me (the adult interdependent partnership), but at least it seems like you can make a preemptive strike to keep gold diggers away from your cash, while still enjoying the benefits of shacking up.

So, what exactly are you trying to avoid? Please, come up with a detailed, realistic (no movie stars) hypothetical example for us to discuss.

It seems you are in Alberta, so I'm not sure if you will get a lot of informed/experience-based responses from this forum...
    Last edited by dinkyface; 04-27-2010, 10:38 PM.

Comment

If both people aremaking similar dollars, no big issue.

If one is making 3-5 times more, it could bite you on the ass after 3 years.

Comment

Are you concerned about having to pay spousal support? Or about having to give away 50% of a house that you bought prior to your relationship (or a house that you bought solely with your own dollars during your relationship)?

Comment

Confusing and not clear as to your jurisdiction. However, in Ontario the Family Law Act provides for Cohabitation Agreements. Perhaps similar relief is provided in your location.

Comment

He is Alberta and they have these strange adult interdependent partnerships, which I think replace common law relationships, with an odd twist, you can have them between room-mates, adult children and parents, brother and sister, etc. It makes sense in a way, but it is scary if it kicks in automaticly after a few years with a room-mate.

Comment

I'm a she. And I do have a paid off house that I own. I've never lived with anyone before. And I don't like how you can get trapped into this common law BS without consent. (With roommates even, it sounds like - you don't have to be banging the person in the "adult interdependent partnership" with you.)

Comment

Classy.

Comment

Originally posted by justsayno View Post
                  I'm a she. And I do have a paid off house that I own. I've never lived with anyone before. And I don't like how you can get trapped into this common law BS without consent. (With roommates even, it sounds like - you don't have to be banging the person in the "adult interdependent partnership" with you.)
                  You still haven't laid out your specific concerns, even after being asked. Instead you almost make your questions more confusing.

Good thing you're a she. If a he talked about banging someone here, you can bet he would hear about it.

Comment

I would imagine that the fear would be having to fork out support payments to someone who is no longer "banging" you.

The whole screwed up law concerning the concept of need, want, entitlement, and paying for others is beyond belief.

I would be worried too about getting myself into that situation ever again.

And you don't need to be a movie star to get financially messed up for life.

Comment

Canadian Legal FAQS- Adult Interdependent Relationships

What is an adult interdependant relationship?

The Adult Interdependent Relationships Act provides two possible ways for such a relationship to exist
                      1. If you have made a formal and valid adult interdependent partner agreement with the other person.

Two people that are related by either blood or adoption must enter into such as agreement in order to be considered adult interdependent partners.

OR

2. If you are not related by either blood or adoption and if you have:
                      a) lived with the other person in a "relationship of interdependence" for at least 3 continuous years; or
                      b) lived with the other person in a "relationship of interdependence" of some permanence where there is a child of the relationship (either by birth or adoption).
                      The Adult Interdependent Relationships Act defines a "relationship of interdependence" as a relationship outside of marriage where two people:
                      a) share one another's lives;
                      b) are emotionally committed to one another; and
                      c) functions as an economic and domestic unit.
                      To meet these criteria, the relationship does not have to be conjugal (sexual). It can be platonic.

How would anyone determine whether a couple is functioning as an economic and domestic unit?

The Adult Interdependent Relationships Act states that all the circumstances of the relationship must be looked at to see if it is indeed an adult interdependent relationship. The Act then goes on to state some factors that could be relevant, as follows:
                      • Whether the couple have a conjugal (sexual) relationship.
                      • How exclusive the relationship is, for example, do they each have conjugal relationships with others.
                      • How the couple habitually act and conduct themselves with regard to household activities and living arrangements. This might include matters such as whether they live together, share rooms, share chores.
                      • The extent to which the couple portray to others that they are an economic and domestic unit.
                      • The extent to which the couple formalize their legal obligations, intentions and responsibilities towards one another. This might include matters such as whether they have completed an adult interdependent partner agreement, or made provision for each other in their wills.
                      • The extent to which direct and indirect contributions have been made to each other or for their mutual well being. This might include items such as paymens into joint banking accounts, and providing health benefits for each other.
                      • The extent to which they are financially dependent on each other.
                      • How the couple might care and support any children.
                      • How the couple owns, uses or buys property.

Comment

wow
                        thats some messed up stuff
                        So you might have a roommate who you once bleeped and he or she can come after you for support?
                        Good lord
                        Good luck I meant

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X