X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posting Pictures on Facebook by other people

Hello:

I have a question with regards to posting pictures on Facebook.

Ex wife is against posting any pictures of our kids (3 yrs & 8yrs). I really don't care.

My brother posted 2 pictures of our kids in his page.

She, somehow, saw the pictures and this is what she has to say about it, and yes I'm quoting her: " I will get a court order against you and those who are not respecting their privavcy."

Can she do this? What are my options here? does she has a legal case?

Your advice is greatly appriciated and thank you in advance.

Salsero12

She is blowing smoke. Anyone can take and post almost any sort of picture. There was no malice or negative intent. She will be seen as the nutjob she is.

Comment

I agree with Hammerdad in that she will probably be largely unsuccessful trying to do anything legally about this by itself because its a gray area, however, she does have a point and may be able to successfully make it part of some other ongoing court action and he may be asked to simply remove the pictures.

Facebook does not guarantee privacy on their policy, even with a private account. Those pictures are accessible to anyone...Facebook is very much public domain. If he has any other information up there...general location, names, etc...she could make a point that its dangerous to have the children's privacy violated.

Every year, I have to sign a form for my child's school if I want any pictures or video to be able to be used by the school...ie, posted in a newsletter or in the local paper. They get my express permission in writing.

I would consider asking him to remove the pictures...although as I stated, I doubt she'll have any legal means to do much about it.

Comment

Thank you

thank you for your answers, this makes me at peace.

But just to be in the safe side, I have asked my bro to take the pictures down, and now is up to him.

There is no personal information with regards to what is posted, no names, address, etc.

Thank you very much once again

salsero12

Comment

Originally posted by salsero12 View Post
          thank you for your answers, this makes me at peace.

But just to be in the safe side, I have asked my bro to take the pictures down, and now is up to him.

There is no personal information with regards to what is posted, no names, address, etc.

Thank you very much once again

salsero12
          This is a really gray area. Children have a basic right to privacy as they are non-consenting adults. Now, if your brother wrote an article and posted their pictures it is another story. Or if the pictures were used to advertise a business... Another story... Basically if they are personal pictures and do not break the law then it really is a moot point to argue. But, if your brother is a photographer and using them to advertise his business... The mother would need to sign the release form for the photos etc...

Children + business does not mix well. But, the personal posting of photos really is a grey area. Best to take them down and avoid the conflict.

Good Luck!
          Tayken

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X