This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grandparents rights in ontario

I am considering taking the mother of my grandson to court so i can see him (note they have not been together since baby was born and he was in the delivery room and our family at the hospital . I have checked about a police clearance and the CAS clearance needed there will be no issue getting them. since my grandson was born we have been allowed to see him off and on as his mother permits usually once a year if we give her CASH or pay for something. 3 years ago my son took her to court for mediation with a legal aid lawyer. agreements for support and visitation was made but then she decided she was not signing ( everything was according to her wishes) my son has given up feels the system let him down .
    does anyone have some advice before i fill out the forms? What court should i use Ontario or superior? what will the court cost be i am self represented.

If I was you I would throw support behind your son so he has access to the child, then when he does you can see the kid. He may have a better chance then you do.

Comment

i would like to but he given up on the legal system it her game , you can see if i get cash (only cash) and she refused to sign any agreement he tired of the game and financially cant afford a lawyer , i here for him but i want to see my grandson l

Comment

hmm the first post was so nicely written, then the second post sounds like storm is back

Comment

sorry was making supper didnt want it to burn

i'm just frustrated and want to see my grandson . neither of his parents are willing to give . so i feel this is my only solution. it better that i try than not try at all and never see him except in picture on FB that is not the kind of grandparent. i want to be' I want to be able to take him boating, fishing .to mcdonalds etc

Comment

Verrrry Strange. Is Patty60 back? Perhaps not, but something very bizarre about the writing style. The 2nd post veers way off from the baseline of the poster's tone in the original post :/ Sounds rather "Storm(y)"

Comment

stormy maybe i am frustrated and was hoping someone might give me some advice about using the family law reform act to get visitation as a 3rd party as that is my intention to get access to see my grandson.

may i ask who who the heck is patty 60? check my profile i am definitely not her

Comment

I second SoTSL and Hadenough's observations. The writing pattern and style of speech is just too "stormy".

Comment

i'm sorry if i'm Stormy

my son is considering giving up his parental rights .that is why i'm looking to get access i still am willing to fight to see my grandson and pleaded with my son not to give away his rights .He has given up and doesn't want to fight anymore to see his son even tho he loves him. Should i fight to see my grandson that is my question ? Or just walk away ?
                  I can take the criticism and the comments .I just want to do the right thing.

Comment

Yep definitely a pattern. Geesh - some people never get it do they?

My advice: Go to the south. Take a nice long vacation. Adopt a chinchilla. Take up body surfing in Atlanta. Get a life!

Comment

Geesh ! thanks for all your advice guess i will take that trip

Comment

I am not sure I am seeing the same things as the others, but hey.

Simply put, you have very limited rights when it comes to the child. Your son on the other hand, has many.

Your son gave up because the ex wouldn't sign an agreement? Does he realize that there are other steps that can be taken. I mean, the guy had legal aid, so the tax payor was covering most of his legal bills and he still walks away? IMO, tell your son to grow a freaking back bone and be a dad to his child.

You would be substantially more successful if your son pulled his head out of his ass and took the ex to court for parenting time. Then your son can take the child to visit you during his parenting time.

As for him wanting to give up his parental rights, well a court would have to do that, and the courts don't like to do it. There would have to be some mitigating reasons for a judge to agree. The courts believe it is the right of the child to be supported by both parents, so even if your son walks away and never sees the child, he will likely still have to pay child support. He may not like it, but tax payers like it even less when they have to pick up the slack for another persons stupidity.

If he isn't paying child support, tell him to start paying. Just know that child support and parenting time are separate and apart. So paying c/s does not gurarantee parenting time. The flip side to that coin is the ex can't deny parenting time because he isn't paying support.

But seriously, this is an issue for your son. He needs to get over himself and any perceived slights that he may have that the "system" let him down (because the reality it is more likely he made a bunch of mistakes in the process and the outcome was subject to those mistakes) and then go out and be a parent to his kid because that is the child's best interests.

Otherwise, I feel for the child in this case as likely everyone around them is an idiot.

Comment

Thank you now that i can understand and appreciate your response . I guessing from what your saying I will not get to see my grandchild as my son is an idiot and in this situation I do agree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Peaboo View Post
                            Thank you now that i can understand and appreciate your response . I guessing from what your saying I will not get to see my grandchild as my son is an idiot and in this situation I do agree with you.

I am not saying you won't, I am saying it would substantially easier/cheaper if your son did it vs you.

I am sorry if I came off as harsh. After being throw a ringer myself trying to negotiate agreements and stuff, it just pisses me off to see a quiter. And it pisses me off even more to know that this kid is going to know that their parent gave up because they thought that their were getting the short end of the stick....

If I were you, I'd be pushing the son to pull his head of out his self-pitiful ass, and start to work on seeing his kid and build a relationship that his entire family can enjoy.

Comment

I don't consider your comment harsh it reality . I wish my son would step up and that him and his ex could do whats right for my grandson . but i cannot force them (as they are both suppose to adults).
                              So what should I do? should I attempt 3rd party access? I know my chances may not be great but I have proof i have been involved somewhat with the child since his birth he is now 7 . he knows I am his grandmother.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X